Overview / Responsibilities
Wood is currently looking for a fully competent and experienced Mechanical Engineer knowledgeable in Finite Element Analysis (FEA) to join our Process Technology group in Houston as a Design Technology Specialist.
The Design Technology Specialist plans, schedules, conducts, or assigns and supervises broad and/or technically complex engineering assignments requiring judgment, independent evaluation, selection and significant adaptation and deviation from standard techniques and procedures. May serve as a technical expert in meetings with customers and vendors or in planning and conducting broadly defined relatively complex engineering tasks. Travels to project meetings and job sites, as necessary. Develops new techniques and solutions and suggests and justifies product and work process improvements. Independently performs most assignments. Receives technical guidance only on very unusual or complex problems.
Essential Job Functions:
- Prepare or supervise the preparation of design calculations and other engineering documentation using standards and/or new methods as required
- Prepare or supervise the preparation and issue of reports based on calculations and organization standards.
- Ensure the technical quality of work performed by subordinates
- May plan and coordinate the work of less experienced engineers
- Review and approve drawings and other engineering documentation for compliance with CI sheet and/or BEDD sheet requirements, codes, and standards
- Prepare or supervise the preparation of technical specifications for purchased equipment
- Coordinate and interface with equipment suppliers
- May contribute to the preparation of technical evaluations of supplier’s proposals
- Serve as a technical expert within the organization
- Work effectively and communicate with customers, other technical disciplines, and the organization’s project management team
- Ensure all work on assigned projects is timely, accurate and high quality
Skills / Qualifications
- Must have Bachelor’s degree (BS) or Master’s degree (MS- preferred) in Mechanical Engineering
- Professional Engineering License (Texas preferred)
- Must have minimum of 10 years experience in Refining & Chemical E&C with emphasis in FEA and FFS of Pressure Vessel based on API-579, ASME Sec VIII, Div. 1 & 2 for Fatigue Analysis and Dynamic / Vibration Analysis, transient & steady state thermal-mechanical FEA
- Must have field experience for engineering inspection during Construction, Operation and to address reliability & repair issues for fatigue life improvement
- Experience with using software such as: ANSYS or equivalent FEA software, linear & non-linear thermal mechanical modelling/analysis, COMPRESS, PVElite, NOZPRO, CAESAR II
Authorization to work lawfully in the US without sponsorship from Wood is required
- Must be willing to travel domestic and internationally to jobsites - a valid US passport is required
- Must be willing to make technical presentations to clients
- Must be willing to provide technical training courses to clients
Specific Position Requirements:
- Engineer should have a strong background in Finite Element Analysis (FEA) using ANSYS or equivalent FEA software.
- Engineer should be familiar with Delayed Coking Units and cyclic nature of the process.
- Engineer will be involved with design and approval of coke drum designs and other services such as blowdown towers and critical piping
- Must be able to carry out FEA and stress analysis on coke drums and other vessels
- Should be familiar with coke drum and associated piping system monitoring including thermal gradient, inspection, fatigue life and impact of banana movement
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.