SUMMARY: The Mechanical Designer is responsible for designing and documenting custom hydraulic and motion control solutions to satisfy our customer needs. The Mechanical Designer has a strong aptitude for creative design, is resourceful and detail oriented, and works comfortably within a collaborative environment.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each primary duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the primary duties.
- Create and/or modify concept layouts, 3D models, assemblies, and detailed drawings
- Research relevant component and technical resources in support of project objectives. Constantly seek to improve design capabilities through study, reading, observation, and evaluation.
- Provide design solutions while being mindful of form, fit, function, manufacturability, and cost.
- Apply internal best practices along with applicable industry standards, e.g. ANSI, ASME.
- Maintain Technical Data Package throughout product lifecycle, e.g. drawings, revision history, bill of materials, literature submittals, etc.
- Analyze job assignments and determine resource needs in terms of time, design, and other resources required for the completion of assignments to meet project due dates.
- Make necessary design calculations using established engineering practices.
- Assure all design work meets pertinent industry standards, particularly safety and quality.
- Create and process Engineering Change Notices (ECNs).
- Generate, structure, and document any changes for part numbers and Bill of Material numbers. Includes editing and checking of orders for proper application and construction.
- Enter and maintain coding and structure for all parts.
- Assign and maintain material codes, model numbers, and part number families.
- Exercise constant creative thinking in design work and utilize knowledge of basic engineering principles, equipment, or design practices and current manufacturing and fabrication methods and procedures.
- Work directly with project owners by assisting with ideas and converting ideas into workable designs.
- Aid in selection, recommendation, and usage of materials and components.
- Develop test plan for product design validation. Oversee lab testing and document summary of testing results.
- Maintain a safe and clean working environment by following applicable procedures.
- Other duties may be required
QUALIFICATIONS: The requirements listed below are representative of the education, experience, skills and/or abilities required. An individual must meet the minimum requirements as listed in each Qualifications subsection.
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE:
- Two to three years of 3D CAD Modeling/Drafting training or experience. SolidWorks preferred.
- Two year Mechanical Engineering Technology degree or a minimum of 5 years relevant experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in Industrial Technology or Engineering preferred.
- Three years of experience in product design, pumps or fluid flow design.
- Knowledge of industry standard engineering principles and practices.
SKILLS and ABILITIES:
- Ability to organize design effort, keep orderly documentation and handle multiple tasks, assignments and projects simultaneously.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise good judgment, provide technical insight into problems and deliver effectiveness in completing job assignments
- Demonstrated ability to self-direct work with very little supervision.
- Ability and desire to work effectively in a team environment
- Proficient with Microsoft Office products including, but not limited to, Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Must be able to follow both written and verbal instruction.
- Professional verbal and written skills required. Ability to communicate with vendors and project sponsors at all levels in the organization. Must be able demonstrate these communication skills via e-mail, phone and in person.
- Thorough understanding of the creation of detail drawings to fully convey form, fit, function along with most efficient manufacturability.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to sit, stand and spend long periods of time viewing a computer screen. The employee is occasionally required to move from place to place; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision required by this job includes close vision, distance vision, color vision and depth perception.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the primary duties of the job, the employee is regularly exposed to a general office environment and a fabrication/manufacturing shop environment, which may include temperature and humidity fluctuations, noise, fumes, airborne particles and moving machinery. Work outside normal business hours is required from time to time. Infrequent travel may be required.
This job description is intended to convey information essential to understanding the scope of the position and is not an exhaustive list of skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities or working conditions associated with it.
Qualified applicants are considered for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law. Womack Machine Supply is committed to employ and advance in employment individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, and to treat qualified individuals without discrimination on the basis of their physical or mental disability or veteran status.