Medical Assistant I3135308
- Monitors medical/surgical supplies and places orders for stock according to par level. Using Peoplesoft, orders specific supplies for the clinic.
- Obtains instrument kits from sterile processing department and pharmacy.
- Prepares exam rooms by cleaning and re-stocking them on a daily basis. Ensures cleanliness meets required standards.
- Escorts patients to exam rooms for all clinics, assists patient to undress and gown. Ensures safe positioning on exam table.
- Performs vitals signs, weight/ BMI and records on assessment form.
- Documents visit information on encounter form.
- Writes progress notes under the supervision of the staff nurse and/or the Nurse Manager and ensures notes are reviewed by nursing
- Sets up and assists with all clinic procedures, such as excisions, biopsies, sigmoidoscopies, and aspiration procedures.
- Removes dressings and applies dressings as directed by physician/registered nurse.
- Ensures the procedure room is stocked with supplies, excision sets, suture materials, specimen jars, electrocautery equipment and grounding pads.
- Instructs patient and family for selected diagnostic testing
- Assists the patient with ambulation, assuring patient comfort, dignity and safety during the patient care visit.
- Adheres to standards of patient confidentiality and privacy at all times.
- Provides care appropriate to the age specific needs of patient population.
- Provides assistance with special projects as necessary.
- Processes all collected specimens with appropriate lab slips, labeling and containers. Adds lab specimens in lab pick-up container.
- Provides back-up phone coverage at front desk of clinic and documents messages as needed per Nurse Coordinator
- Participates in clinic planning and management through discussions, staff meetings and daily communications with management (Practice Nurse).
- High school diploma or equivalent. Completion of medical assisting training program required. Associates degree helpful
- Minimum two years experience in outpatient clinical care (preferably surgical)
- Current BLS certification.
- Basic computer skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to interpret and follow directions.
- Basic Life Support/ CPR training
- Sterile field understanding and maintenance.
- Competencies in attaining and documenting vitals signs, weight/BMI
- Handling and identification of surgical instruments/ understanding of the sterilization process. Ability to assist with minor surgical procedures in the clinic.
- Adherence to regulatory and safety standards including OSHA, Joint Commission, infection control and HIPAA.
- Checking vital signs: blood pressure, temperature, weight/BMI
- Fully proficient with use of aseptic (sterile) technique
- Understands and carries out basic wound care techniques
- Knowledge of medical terminology
- Excellent organizational skills
- Works as a team member
Massachusetts General Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. Applications from protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged.MGH Danvers01923Medical Assistant