Medical Lab Technologist: Full time - fluctuating schedule
Lab hours of operation are weekday 7am to 7pm and weekends 8am to 4pm
Under the direction of the Laboratory Director and Laboratory Manager, the MT has the responsibility of working in all sections of the Laboratory (Hematology, Chemistry, Serology, and Urinalysis) as assigned. The MT is responsible for promoting the Laboratory mission of providing accurate, reliable, reproducible, and timely test results utilizing the best technology available to provide our physicians with the means to treat our patients, from newborn to elderly, in a manner consistent with quality health care.
- Follows established departmental and hospital policies and procedures, objectives, quality control and performance improvement programs, safety, environmental, and infection control standards.
- Receives and/or collects specimens and labels them appropriately, maintaining specimen integrity until specimens are discarded following established policies and procedures for specimen retention.
- Consistently performs test procedures following written procedures conforming to current standards and manufacturers recommendations.
- Performs required calibration, maintenance, and quality control of instruments and procedures as directed. Performs non-routine maintenance on instruments and procedures as directed.
- Maintains required records, reports, and statistics, as directed.
- Reviews and verifies patient results prior to reporting and communicates critical values and other grossly abnormal results to the appropriate healthcare personnel in a timely manner, following established policies.
- Maintains knowledge of coding and billing policies as they pertain to determination of medical necessity and federally mandated reimbursement guidelines.
- Cleans and maintains laboratory equipment as directed.
- Enhances professional growth and development through participation in programs, current literature, and in-service meetings.
- Attends meetings as required and participates on committees as directed.
- Performs supply inventory as assigned to prevent shortages in assigned work areas.
- Notifies supervisor promptly of customer concerns, unsafe conditions, and malfunctioning instruments/test procedures.
- Maintains current knowledge and training on equipment and procedures.
- Assesses educational needs of patients and provides patients with education of procedures, obtaining patient feedback to ensure their understanding. Adapts performance of procedures to accommodate unique needs of patients
- Maintains competence in computer skills pertaining to order entry, and laboratory computer system orders, collections, result entry, patient report retrieval, and report printing tasks.
- Attends required hospital and departmental safety, compliance, and infection control in-services.
- Perform within the prescribed limits of the clinic and department Ethics and Compliance programs. The MT has the responsibility to detect, observe, and report compliance variances to the Compliance Officer, Administrative Team, or the Compliance Hotline.
- Completes other duties as assigned or requested by the Laboratory Director or Laboratory Manager within specified timeframes.
- Regular and reliable attendance required.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential responsibility satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or abilities required.
Fulfill educational requirements consistent with classification as testing personnel in a high complexity Laboratory as defined under the CLIA '88 regulations.
Completion of an accredited Medical Technologist program, a Bachelor of Science Degree, and current certification as MT (ASCP).
No experience necessary for individuals who have complete an accredited 4 year program in Medical Technology.
Working knowledge of computers and data entry.
Ability to interact with a diverse patient population.
Knowledge of ICD-9 and CPT-4 coding as it applies to determining the medical necessity of Laboratory procedures for Medicare patients.
Maintenance of certification is required through a professional Medical Technology organization (AMT, ASCP).
Current Florida licensure as a Clinical Technologist in Chemistry, Hematology, Urinalysis, and Serology.