California Water Service (Cal Water) invites you to pursue a career with the largest investor-owned American water utility west of the Mississippi River and the third-largest publicly traded water utility in the country. Formed in 1926, the San Jose-based company was named one of the Bay Area's Top Workplaces several years in a row. Cal Water employees pride themselves on sharing a commitment to being the leader in providing its customers and communities with traditional and innovative utility services.
Cal Water offers a generous total compensation package. We have competitive salaries and match a portion of employees' contributions to their Company 401(k). In addition, we provide a Company-funded pension plan, great healthcare benefits that provide coverage to employees and dependents, and generous tuition reimbursement. In addition, employees receive 11 paid holidays and three floating holidays per year, and two weeks of sick leave and vacation.
We are committed to hiring the best candidates, developing current employees, and promoting from within. Continuous improvement and employee development opportunities allow employees to acquire knowledge and skills necessary to progress and reach your career goals.
The Senior Microbiologist performs quantitative and qualitative microbiological analysis of drinking water using a variety of methods. This position will oversee and maintain the monitoring schedule, prepare microbiological kits, perform analytical testing of samples following established quality assurance and quality control procedures for methods and machinery, enter data into the Laboratory Information Management System, prepare reports as requested and oversee the work of the microbiology analyst and technician. The position is also required to seek out new methods and technology for the microbiology section and create new procedures according to Standard Methods and Title 22. This position is located in San Jose, California.
- Prepare media and other sample preparation work as required
- Perform microbiological analyses on over 600 samples a week
- Understand and interpret results for the following: enzyme substrate Coliform test, membrane filtration, most probable number, heterotrophic plate count, analytical profile index, and QuantiTray
- Perform and maintain all quality control and quality assurance measures for the microbiology section
- Participate in Proficiency Testing (PT) and Environmental Laboratory Accreditation Program audits to maintain certification
- Track and maintain the microbiological monitoring schedule
- Track and maintain all microbiological samples that are subcontracted out
- Help prepare data for monthly reporting to the State
- Maintain and oversee inventory and the microbiology section's budget
- Responsible for the section of new microbiological equipment
- Operate and maintain laboratory equipment
- Provide weekend coverage, as required, including setting up samples, reading results, and notifying managers of positive results
- Maintain accurate paper and electronic records, enter data routinely into the LIMS
- Provide interpretation of the data for the Manager of Laboratory Services, QA/QC Program Manager and other customers
- Understand the Total Coliform Rule and the Ground Water Rule. Know when a resampling request is necessary and be able to respond when an emergency occurs
- Assist with the preparation of monthly regulatory reports to the Division of Drinking Water
- Track and monitor inventory; re-order supplies as needed to ensure the lab operates efficiently
- Establish and maintain successful working relationships with peers, Water Quality Program Managers, district personnel, customers, and vendors
- Communicate effectively and politely
- Use LIMS and Business Objects to assist with sample kit building, enter data and generate reports
- Use MS Office applications such as Excel, Power Point, Outlook and Word
- Participates in and support the Company's Continuous Improvement Process
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor's Degree in Microbiology, Biology, Chemistry, or science related field
- Five years of experience working in a laboratory environment as a Microbiology analyst preferably in the drinking water industry
- Prior experience with LIMS
- Working knowledge of Standard Methods, the EPA Manual for the Certification of Laboratories, Code of Federal Regulations, and Title 22
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Working hours are 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Rotating weekend work is required, holiday and emergency hours work as needed
- Valid California Driver License
Deadline to submit resume is Thursday, June 28, 2018.
The Equal Opportunity Policy of the Company is based upon the philosophy that all people should be treated fairly and with dignity. California Water Service, Hawaii Water Service Company, New Mexico Water Service Company and Washington Water Service Company do not discriminate against any applicant or employee because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or any other protected class. The Company makes all employment decisions in a non-discriminatory manner. EOE, VET, DISABILITIES