Position Title: Mortgage Loan Officer II
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Provide information on credit union products and services to potential borrowers according to all credit union policies and procedures as well as Federal and State rules and regulations. Interviews all applicants for real estate loans. Prepares, analyzes, processes and documents all required forms and related documents for real-estate loans. Approves or denies loan applications based on analysis of each applicants background. Responsible for promoting credit union products and services to ensure meeting productivity goals.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Prequalify loan applicants by examining LOAN MANAGEMENT/BORROWER ADVISEMENT
Meet with loan applicants to discuss viable mortgage options, counsel on credit and budget, develop roadmap and process for mortgage approval and assist with the loan application process. Achieve productivity goal as set forth by manager.
Prequalify loan applicants by examining all borrower information and documentation, assessing credit-worthiness, adequacy of income, credit and collateral and calculating repayment risk. Determines the maximum purchase price/loan amount based on borrower data. Approve or deny real-estate loan applications that do not meet pre-qualification standards, and explain reasons for denial.
Gather and review necessary data to complete the loan review process including credit bureau reports; verifying debts and estimating monthly payments for any outstanding debts not listed on application and ensuring they are added to application.
Comply with all federal and state mortgage regulations and disclosure requirements.
Prepare mortgage loan application and documentation for underwriting and closing. Ensure that each real-estate loan is processed accurately, troubleshoot any issues that may arise during the processing period, and maintain communication with borrower throughout processing period, as needed.
Develop mortgage loan business through continual identification, development and maintenance of a quality network of business relationships that serves as a recurring source of referrals for new mortgage lending opportunities. This network may consist of Real Estate professionals, builders, and professional contacts, as well as other valuable referral sources enhanced by regular participation in business related development opportunities, community efforts to promote homeownership and professional organizations.
May oversee responsibilities of Mortgage Loan Assistant, if appropriate.
Other duties as may be deemed necessary.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- High School diploma or equivalent; Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Either two year prior mortgage or relevant financial experience.
- Non-profit experience strongly preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
- Bilingual Spanish/English REQUIRED.
- Demonstrate Self-Help's corporate competencies:
o Mission and Values
o Standards of Excellence
o Teamwork and Collaboration
o Initiative and Follow-Through
o Customer Focus
- Ability to represent Self-Help in networking functions and to develop and maintain key realtor and other relations that generate attractive loan/borrower referrals.
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills and ability to independently handle loan applications and assess borrower ability to successful repay loans.
- Ability to consistently follow guidelines for file quality.
- Ability to consistently meet productivity goals.
- Ability to secure and maintain NMLS certification.
- Ability to work collaboratively on team
- Sensitivity to issues of low-wealth borrowers and a desire to work in a racially and socially diverse organization
- Strong organization, computer and customer service skills
- Strong communications skills including strong writing skills and presentation skills.
- Ability to travel and work evenings and weekends as needed
- Proficiency with Word, Excel and PowerPoint
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Close vision is required.
- Employee is regularly required to: sit; talk and hear; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
- Employee is frequently required to type and use a keyboard.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
About Self-Help Federal:
Self-Help Federal Credit Union was chartered in 2008 to build a network of branches that serve working families and underserved communities. With 17 branches in California, 9 branches in Illinois, 2 branches in Florida, and 1 branch in Wisconsin, over $1 billion in assets, and serving more than 79,000 members, Self-Help Federal is one of the fastest-growing low-income designated credit unions in the country. It is part of the national Self-Help family of non-profit organizations whose collective mission is to create and protect ownership and economic opportunity for all. For 38 years, the Center for Community Self-Help and its affiliates have provided $7.9 billion in financing to help over 149,000 low-wealth borrowers buy homes, start and build businesses, and strengthen community resources. For more information, go to www.self-helpfcu.org and www.self-help.org.
We are an equal opportunity employer:
Self-Help is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all persons regardless of race, color, class, age, religion, disability that can be accommodated, marital status (including domestic partner status), ancestry, nationality, national origin, religion (and lack thereof), family status, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), other medical condition and/or disability: physical or mental, AIDS/HIV status, genetic information, sexual identity, gender identification (including transgender status), sexual orientation, political activities or affiliations, and veteran status.
Competitive salary, based on experience, plus a generous benefits package that includes health, dental, life insurance, flexible spending plan, retirement plan, paid parental leave, and domestic partners policy.
Please apply to our Human Resources Department:
Interested individuals please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com and reference this job, “Mortgage Loan Officer” and the location of the position(s) you are applying for in the subject line of your message.
The Self-Help Federal Credit Union is an Equal Opportunity Employer