The Network Architect is responsible for the network architecture, policy and the strategic planning and implementation of Crown Castle Fiber’s IP & Ethernet network. He/she will provide technical leadership and vision based on the individual’s extensive knowledge of the technologies that make up the company’s product portfolio. The Network Architect will have considerable experience in Carrier-Ethernet, Capacity Planning, Peering, Proof of Concept Testing/Certification and Change Management.
This individual will function as a member of the team responsible for both sustaining and growing the network. These main activities include:
- Develop and publish standards for network architecture to include backbone and customer projects
- Work with other internal groups to design, develop and deploy new product offerings.
- Design augments/enhancements to existing network technologies to sustain their useful life or repair chronic issue(s)
- Work on a team that is responsible for developing and conducting Proof of concept testing of hardware, software and services
- Provide technical leadership for the Engineering and Operations organizations
- Work on a team that is responsible for analyzing network and customer requirements, equipment capabilities and services to make written recommendations and oral presentations on network architecture, equipment selections, product definitions, routing policies, etc.
- Resolve architecture issues and provide and implement improved design methodologies.
- Facilitate technical transfer of information from Engineering/Planning to Operations and Sales departments.
- The individual must possess and employ the highest ethical and business standards and always conduct himself/herself with the greatest degree of professional integrity.
- Act as a technical mentor and provide support and thought leadership within the Engineering and Planning organizations.
- Miscellaneous other duties and responsibilities as required by management.
- Must have a thorough understanding of BGP, IS-IS, IPv6, OSPF and MPLS, Traffic Engineering, QinQ, G.8032, 802.3ad, 802.3ag, Y.1731
- Must have thorough understanding of VPN technologies such as L2VPNs (Martini, Kompella), RFC2547, and VPLS/VPWS.
- Must have familiarity with Metro Ethernet products & solutions as defined by MEF
- Must have experience working with Tier2/3 ISP environment using Cisco and/or Juniper routing hardware.
- Employee must analyze requirements from within the group, from other groups, and from outside the company and select appropriate physical, process, software and routing implementation of those requirements.
- Must have in-depth knowledge on Domain Name Service policies and Address management
- Knowledge in network security best practices; develop and maintain Acceptable Use Policy for IP Network, Firewall and Filtering policies.
- Must be able to diagnose and resolve routing issues, congestion problems, and hardware and software failures.
- Must be detailed oriented and highly motivated and possess the ability and desire to work in a collaborative environment.
- Experience with any of the following is highly desirable: UNIX systems (BSD, Linux, Solaris), programming and scripting (C, Perl, xSQL, Expect, Sed/Awk)
- Must be familiar with test and traffic generation equipment (Spirent, IXIA etc.).
- Technical certifications such as CCIE or JNCIE are desirable but not required.
- Experience with optical transmission systems (Ciena, Infinera, ADVA, Cisco).
- A minimum of 10 years of experience in telecommunications preferably with an ISP, MSO, or other carrier centric environment
- Extensive experience in IP and Carrier Ethernet in a previous engineering or planning role with a Tier1 Service Provider
- Intermediate knowledge of LINUX OS derivatives and shell programming with PERL, Python, PHP, and MySQL being a plus
- Intermediate familiarity with Optical OTN/DWDM/ROADM transport systems
- BS degree in Computer Science or related field