LA BioMed is a non-profit scientific research organization dedicated to saving lives not only in the greater Los Angles metro area but throughout the world.The Institute has over more than 120 principal investigators and 400 researchers in total — MD’s, MD/PhD’s, and PhD’s — working on over 1,000 research studies. We are academically affiliated with the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA and work in partnership with the Harbor-UCLA Medical Center. Our research is funded by many sources including: grants from the NIH and other government entities, Industry and teaching contracts and royalties, as well as private donors and other non-profit foundations.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
Minimum Job-Related Experience
- One year experience as LA BioMed WIC Clerk, Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, Information and Referral Assistant, Community Health Outreach Worker or equivalent. Relevant teaching and counseling experience, comprehensive health training may substitute for WIC experience.
Minimum Education or Training Requirements
- High School graduate, GED or equivalent. WNA certified or college coursework in maternal and child health/nutrition or related field a plus.
License, Certification, Accreditation, or Apprenticeship Requirements
- Valid California driver's license
- Current California registration for personal transportation
- Proof of personal vehicle insurance
- Comprehensive knowledge of WIC Program policies, procedures and WIC MIS software
- Demonstrated group presentation and facilitation skills and counseling abilities, utilizing PCE and MI techniques, as appropriate
- Knowledge of basic principles of breastfeeding support and maternal and child health and nutrition
- Comprehensive knowledge of the Immunization (IZ) Program policies, procedures, and IZ database software
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills
- Willingness to learn Spanish; conversational Spanish is preferred
- Strong organizational skills
- Attention to detail and follow-through
- Dietary assessment and nutrition/health risk evaluation skills
- Able to speak effectively in front of small groups
- Computer literacy and aptitude with above-average data entry skills
- Available to work dependable, flexible shift
Description of Duties:
- Under specific direction, is responsible for conducting group nutrition, breastfeeding, and health education activities and performing nutritional and breastfeeding risk assessment, individual education, and breastfeeding support for low-risk women, infants, and children participating in the WIC Program. Conducts enrollment and certification of WIC Program applicants and participants according to state and federal Program guidelines. Prints and distributes Food Instruments (FI) in accordance with established procedures and performs clerical functions to support WIC Program site operations.
- LA BioMed offers a competitive package of employment benefits for its employees and their dependents.
- Medical: Regular full-time employees and their dependents are provided with a choice of HMO or POS group medical insurance benefits. The cost for these benefits is shared between LA BioMed and the employee.
- Dental: Regular full-time employees and their dependents are provided with a choice of HMO or PPO group dental insurance benefit options, including orthodontic allowances. The cost for these benefits is shared between LA BioMed and the employee.
- Vision: Regular full-time employees and their dependents are provided with group vision insurance benefit options. The cost for these benefits is shared between LA BioMed and the employee.
- Disability: Eligible employees are provided with long-term disability insurance, which is fully paid for by LA BioMed. This insurance provides benefits if an employee becomes disabled due to illness, pregnancy, or injury for more than 120 days.
- Paid Vacation: Eligible employees can accumulate ten (10) hours of vacation per month up to a maximum of 15 working days per year.
- Pension Plan: LA BioMed provides a retirement plan for eligible employees, which is fully funded by LA BioMed. LA BioMed makes an annual contribution based on each employee’s earnings in accordance with the provisions of the plan.
- Supplemental Retirement: Eligible employees can participate in a 403(b) supplemental retirement plan which allows pretax contributions. LA BioMed offers a variety of investment options through Fidelity Investment, TIAA/CREF.
- Life Insurance: Eligible employees are provided with group life insurance, which is fully paid for by LA BioMed.
- Paid Sick Leave: Eligible employees can accrue up to ten (10) days of sick leave per year.
LA BioMed is an Equal Opportunity Employer