ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Day to Day Oversight:
- Oversee office operations, and supervise reception, conference services, office services and either directly or through a secretarial supervisor, manage the secretarial staff of the office, ensuring needs are met and balanced against firm-wide expectations and standards.
- Ensure that high quality business services professionals are working efficiently and effectively to support the legal practice within the office, and that staffing ratios are appropriate and efficient.
- Oversee operational issues as they arise, and ensure that such issues are resolved appropriately and effectively.
- Work with the Director of Operations–US and coordinate departmental practices, procedures, and new implementations, ensuring understanding of and compliance with firm-wide and office policies and legal obligations. Support and implement local deployment of firm-wide initiatives.
- Implement standards of excellence and customer service and provide staff with an understanding of future expectations and initiate changes needed to meet them.
- In conjunction with the Director of Operations–US, prepare and monitor office operating and capital budgets.
- Manage contractual relationship with vendors providing goods and services to the office(s). Negotiate with vendors and initiate bid procedures, as appropriate.
- Work with the Director of Operations –US on any issues with the landlord and subtenants; consult firm lawyers and/or firm consultants on lease negotiations and review same; approve rent and other office operations bills.
- Manage office assignments and furnishings.
- Work with the Director of Operations–US on construction and renovation projects, as necessary, and oversee daily activities of same from inception through completion.
- Oversee office facilities and ensure the office is maintained in a suitable manner and problems which arise are addressed appropriately and in a timely fashion.
- Ensure adequate fire/emergency disaster plans and necessary security procedures are in place.
Legal Practice Oversight:
- Ensure adequate and effective secretarial support is available to the lawyers as needed.
- Support the Director of Operations and the Information Technology department to support the firm’s overall technology program and ensure adherence to firm policies.
Human Resources Oversight:
- Work with the Human Resources department to coordinate recruitment of business services professionals for the office.
- Work with the Human Resources department to coordinate orientation and introduction of new lawyers and business services staff within the office.
- Support the development and training programs for managers, paralegals, and business services staff, as well as training opportunities for the firm’s lawyers, and ensure that such firm programs are rolled out appropriately within the office(s).
- Maintain a professional manner at all times, contributing to the constructive resolution of conflicts within workgroups and as workgroups relate to others in the office or firm. Promote teamwork within the office.
- Resolve human resources issues in a timely and appropriate manner, consulting with the Local Human Resources Manager, Firm’s Director of Human Resources, firm-wide business professionals and involving the Partner in Charge, Practice Leader(s), appropriate lawyers, and others as necessary and appropriate.
- Work with the Firm’s Director of Talent Management regarding approval of new hires, and with the Human Resources Director-US for any needed terminations of employment.
- Notify the Director of Operations–US of any employee or other issues and suggest solutions.
Short and Long-Term Planning:
- In conjunction with the Director of Operations–US, develop short and long-term plans and goals for office operations and support of the lawyers within the office(s).
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES:
- Ability to read, write and speak English
- Thorough knowledge of MS Office applications including Word, Outlook and Excel
- Excellent interpersonal skills required including strong oral and written communication skills, including the ability to communicate potentially detailed and complex information to others
- Aptitude and willingness to work with complex procedures
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Significant managerial and/or oversight experience in a fast-pace, changing environment essential
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and adjust to changing priorities in a professional manner
- Ability to work independently and with a team
- Strong commitment to customer service
- Self-starter who is collaborative-oriented and a team player
- Willingness and ability to assume new tasks and responsibilities
- Commitment to maintain confidentiality of employee, office, firm and client information and adhering to the Firm’s Core Values
- Commitment to the office and firm
- Commitment to professional growth and development
- Bachelor’s degree required; an advanced degree and/or significant work experience in the legal industry is an asset.