Innovate Public Schools is seeking an organized, energetic and experienced Operations Associate/ Office Manager to set up, plan and execute administrative duties and office procedures in our newly launched Los Angeles office. The ideal candidate will be a tech-savvy, proactive, and meticulously organized problem solver and effective multi-tasker who is resourceful, takes initiative, can work autonomously, and demonstrates excellent follow through.
The LA Operations Associate/Office Manager must be a team player with strong interpersonal skills and the ability to manage complex assignments. The successful candidate must ensure smooth office function while fostering a positive office culture and supporting day-to-day operations in a fast-paced environment.
About Innovate Public Schools
Innovate Public Schools is a nonprofit organization focused on ensuring that ALL students, including low-income students and students of color, receive an excellent education. We’re building a movement of families, educators, and business and elected leaders who together will make this vision a reality. We build the capacity of parents and educators to innovate and act together to create world-class public schools, and we publish easy-to-understand school quality data and research that highlights both problems and solutions.
Innovate Public Schools supports parents across the region to build powerful community organizations in their local communities that can successfully push for better schools and hold the system accountable to the needs of families and children. Innovate currently leads a network of grassroots community organizations led by passionate parent leaders from across the Bay Area in Santa Clara, San Mateo and San Francisco counties, and our goal is to build a similar base of parent leaders in Los Angeles.
As Operations Associate in our new office space, your primary responsibility is to work closely with the Regional VP, Los Angeles and other Bay Area-based administrative staff to:
- Manage VP’s calendar, including scheduling of all internal and external meetings, and travel, manage expense reports, and enter Salesforce data
- Provide scheduling support for all Los Angeles-based team meetings and appointments.
- Strategically create and implement systems necessary to ensure effective day-to-day office operation and organizational function
- Ensure the smooth operation of the office, including monitoring and ordering office supplies, and maintaining a productive space and working environment
- Providing general administrative support to Los Angeles-based staff
- Partner with other Operations team members to update and maintain office policies as necessary.
- Support the Regional VP LA and the operations team to effectively onboard new staff (including being instrumental in setting and training staff on office norms; facilitating ordering any onboarding books/materials needed for LA staff)
- Assist managers with team building and culture and serve as the barometer for team morale
- Coordinate with IT vendor regarding all office equipment
- Provide general support to visitors
- Manage key vendor and contractor relationships, such as building management, catering, event venues, translation / interpretation, childcare and other vendors/contractors
- Plan and provide event support for in-house or off-site activities, such as retreats, celebrations, parent meetings, and other events hosted by Innovate
- Oversee and/or execute special projects as requested
- Bachelor’s degree and/or at least 3 years of successful full-time relevant work experience as an office manager, administrative assistant, project coordinator, or event manager
- Proficiency using typical office software (email tools, spreadsheets and databases), including Microsoft Office Suite and G-Suite
Salesforce and Concur proficiency preferred
- Familiarity with email scheduling tools, like Boomerang, or Mixmax
- Proven ability to efficiently multitask and prioritize work
- Interest and experience identifying and implementing processes and procedures to improve work efficiency and productivity.
- Ability to work in a startup environment, requiring flexibility, self-motivation, self-directed problem-solving, collaborative work style, drive toward results, and enthusiasm.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational and planning abilities
- Receives feedback well and possesses a growth mindset
- Willingness to work as member of, and contribute to a team in a dynamic, learning environment.
- Passion for creating more high-quality school options for working families
- A valid driver's license and reliable, insured vehicle (needed to fulfill job requirements)
- Proof of eligibility to work in the United States
- Discretion and confidentiality
- Ability to work occasional evening meetings/events and some weekends
Compensation depends on experience and is highly competitive. Innovate offers very generous benefits including health and dental insurance, 20 days paid time off per year (increasing to 25 after 2 years of employment), two floating holidays, 14 paid fixed holidays per year (including office closure between Dec 24th - New Year’s Day), 1 day per year paid volunteering time off, and 5% employer contribution to 401k.
Work Environment / Physical Demands
The work environment characteristics and the physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while successfully performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by the person in this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills.
Please submit your resume and a cover letter describing why your knowledge, skills, and background make you the best candidate for the position.
Innovate Public Schools is an equal opportunity employer, and takes pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.