ThePackaging Engineerwill be responsible for the development of packaging structures from concept to implementation in support of new product innovation. You will serve as the Packaging Project Lead who will interface with Marketing, R&D, Plant Operations, Procurement and Packaging Suppliers. The successful candidate will utilize extensive packaging knowledge and supplier capabilities to deliver sound packaging structure that meet business objectives which balance aesthetics, functionality and cost. You must be able to manage multiple projects and adapt to evolving and innovative project requirements throughout all phases of the product/package innovation process.
If you are looking to work at a great company with great people and enjoy development and design as well as project management this is a great match!
Core Responsibilities & Business Acumen
- Manage and facilitate all packaging tasks related to the development or optimization of packaging solutions, effectively partnering and working cross-functionally within the organization and suppliers.
- Understand internal business strategies, keep abreast of new technologies, and trends in packaging within industry and marketplace.
- Have experience with direct to consumer packaging (E-Commerce) strategy and packaging development.
- Possess and enjoy strong project management skills to develop timelines for all packaging related project deliverables.
- Develop cost estimates for new or exploratory product/package initiatives.
- Quickly learn plant manufacturing processes, product assembly, packaging machinery and output.
- Develop test protocols and standard operating procedures for package testing either in-house or with external testing facilities.
- Prepare, stage, and procure product and package components in order to complete in-house preliminary shock and drop testing or preparation for ISTA package ship test with an external testing facility.
- Travel to plant facilities (US and Mexico), vendors, and/or customer locations. Travel estimated to be 10-15%.
- Execute tasks as part of standard work such as;
- Packaging structure and die line development via computer aided design programs.
- Defining weight and dimension information for systems set-up.
- Artwork review and documentation.
- Writing/approving specifications.
- Defining pallet configurations.
- Extracting and manipulating critical packaging information from
- Extracting and manipulating critical packaging information from systems in MS Excel.
Education, Experience and Technical Skills
- Bachelor's of Science degree in Packaging Science or related field.
- Industry Experience: 3 to 5 years preferably in Consumer Product Goods packaging. This position requires a strong grasp of retail packaging needs in regards to appearance and sustainability.
- Packaging material knowledge required focused primarily on corrugate and paperboard.
- Intermediate proficiency in the following:
- MS Office - Excel, PowerPoint and Word.
- Palletization Packaging Programs: CAPE Systems and/or Topps.
- Draft and Design Programs: ArtiosCad, ESKO Studio, and Adobe Illustrator
- Working knowledge for operating a Kongsberg sample cutting table is preferred.
- Ability to lift up to 25 pounds.
- Travel – up to 25%