Job Description: Part-Time Accountant
Reports to: Church Financial Officer
The Part-Time Accountant will demonstrate a strong commitment to Jesus Christ while supporting the accounting operations of Morning Star Church and its affiliates.
This position reports to the Church Financial Officer and offers a wide variety of accounting responsibilities for 3 separate 501(C) 3 churches. This position will play an important role in a small two person accounting and finance office. The successful candidate will handle traditional bookkeeping duties as well a more advanced accounting responsibility including accruals, difficult bank reconciliations, general journal entries, and financial reporting’
There is a possibility that this position can transition into full time for the right candidate
- Assist with collecting offering money bags and separating the offering and communication cards. Return empty offering bags back to appropriate area for the next collection week.
- Prepare deposit slips, make bank deposits to the bank, prepare general ledger journal entries, record revenue in QuickBooks.
- Complete and distribute attendance and offering spreadsheets.
- Maintain the filing of accounts payable and human resource files
- Accurately process vendor invoices, print checks and submit to the CFO on a weekly basis.
- Prepare weekly 1st time givers report and Vital Signs report.
- Organize monthly credit card statements for distribution to staff
- Review and enter credit card expense distribution schedules into QuickBooks
- Download ACH, online payments, etc. from giving software, sort and post financial data summaries to appropriate accounts in QuickBooks.
- Support congregation in making online adjustments to automatic giving
- Maintain chart of accounts
- Purchase 1099 forms and prepare 1099”s
- Operate standard office equipment.
- Perform additional related work as assigned.
- Protect Morning Star Church and its affiliate’s value by keeping information confidential.
- Assist in all month-end closing procedures including reconciliation of balance sheet accounts, recording accruals and prepaid expenses.
- Assist with annual budgeting process. Analyze actual verses budget performance.
- Perform difficult bank reconciliations
- Complete all related monthly financial reports and submit to CFO for review.
- Prepare requested audit reports and provide audit backup during annual audit
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting or Business Administration and a minimum of 5 years related experience.
- Solid understanding of basic bookkeeping and accounting principles. Non-profit accounting experience a plus
- Proficiency in Excel and MS Office products
- Capacity to perform detailed work with written and numerical data, ability to make accurate calculations and must possess a high level of attention to detail
- Must be able to develop and maintain professional and administrative relationships within the church.
- Ability to work as a team member where differing viewpoints are expected and encouraged.
- Strict ability to maintain appropriate confidentiality as it pertains to payroll and other church business.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Please email resumes to: firstname.lastname@example.orgHelp
No phone calls please.