The Pastry Chef uses culinary expertise and experience to make a wide variety of desserts and baked goods, including confectionery work. This individual must understand and appreciate the subtleties of flavor pairings and different tastes, and have a good
aesthetic sense for food and pastry presentation. This position is responsible for the daily preparation of all baked goods and pastries. The individual must be creative with their dessert creations and continually research and test new and different dessert
and baking recipes to ensure that members have an exceptional dining experience. The general responsibilities of the position include those listed below, but Sodexo may identify other responsibilities of the position. These responsibilities may differ among
accounts, depending on business necessities and client requirements.
- Oversees creativity and prepares all desserts required for all food operations, banquets, specialty orders and to-go orders.
- Prepares items from scratch such as breads, rolls, muffins, biscuits, pies, cakes, cookies pastries, and other desserts.
- Sets up, maintains, and breaks down station according to food operating guidelines.
- Tastes all products produced to assess quality.
- Notifies Sous Chef and /or Executive Chef of all product shortages and equipment maintenance issues.
- Prepares and serves items in accordance with established portion and presentation standards.
- Maintains accurate counts on all food items prepared, ensuring no discrepancies in amount of food needed verses amount of food prepared.
- Schedules production of all baked goods to maintain an inventory of fresh baked goods at all times.
- Uses food preparation equipment according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Cleans and maintains station while practicing exceptional safety, sanitation and organizational skills.
- Follows defined food sanitation guidelines in preparation of food product and maintaining work environment.
- Understanding and knowledge of safety, sanitation and food-handling procedures.
- Attends all allergy and foodborne illness in-service training.
- Complies with all Sodexo HACCP policies and procedures.
- Reports all accidents and injuries in a timely manner.
- Complies with all company safety and risk management policies and procedures.
- Participates in regular safety meetings, safety training and hazard assessments.
- Attends training programs (classroom and virtual) as designated.
- May perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
An Associate’s Degree in Pastry Arts and/or 3 to 5 years of like experience with an emphasis on high production.
- Presents self in a highly professional manner to others and understands that honesty and ethics are essential.
- Ability to maintain a positive attitude.
- Ability to communicate with co-workers and other departments with professionalism and respect.
- Maintains a professional relationship with all coworkers, vendor representatives, supervisors, managers, customers, and client representatives.
- Ability to use a computer.
- Basic understanding of professional cooking.
- Understanding and knowledge of safety, sanitation, and food-handling procedures.
- Must have problem-solving abilities, be self-motivated, and organized.
- Must be able to speak, read, and understand basic cooking directions.
- Commitment to quality service and food and beverage knowledge.
- Ability to provide clear directions and respond accordingly to employees.
- Applies substantial baking skills appropriate for the position.
- Willingness to be open to learning and growing.
- Maturity of judgment and behavior.
- Maintains high standards for work areas and appearance.
- Maintains a positive attitude.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule helpful.
- Must comply with any dress code requirements.
- Must be able to work nights, weekends and some holidays.
- Attends work and shows up for scheduled shift on time with satisfactory regularity.
- Close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus, with or without corrective lenses.
- Significant walking or other means of mobility.
- Ability to work in a standing position for long periods of time (up to 8 hours).
- Ability to reach, bend, stoop, push and/or pull, and frequently lift up to 35 pounds and occasionally lift/move 40 pounds.
Working Conditions (may add additional conditions specific to defined work location):
- Generally in an indoor setting; however, may supervise outside activities and events.
- Varying schedule to include evenings, holidays, weekends and extended hours as business dictates.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is primarily in a controlled, temperate environment; however, may be exposed to heat/cold during support of outside activities.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud.