Payroll and HR Specialist
Some travel, fairly minimal
Expected weekly hours:
40 hours per week
8:00am – 5:00pm
(1-hour unpaid lunch)
The Miller Hull Partnership Founded in 1977, is a West Coast-based architecture and planning firm with offices in Seattle and San Diego. Emphasizing performance-based design, capabilities include full-service architectural, interior design, as well as master and space planning for both public and private buildings. The firm's design work spans a wide range of project types such as K-12 schools/higher education, community and interpretive centers, museums, public buildings, libraries, mixed-use buildings, laboratories, corporate offices, in-fill condominiums and small residences as well as international border crossings and embassies. The Miller Hull Partnership is the recipient of the National Firm Award from the American Institute of Architects as well as over 250 design awards, and is published in numerous national and international design journals.
The Miller Hull Partnership is seeking a Payroll and HR Specialistin our SeattleStudio in Pioneer Square. This is a unique position that requires extreme detail and significant knowledge of payroll administration as well as the experience to act as the employee relations specialist.
As the Payroll specialist you will be responsible for updating and maintaining employee information, entering new hires and termination information in an HRIS system, processing semi-monthly timesheet posting and payroll processing while maintaining current knowledge of applicable state and federal wage and hour laws. Provide accurate reporting for quarterly and annual reports.
As the HR specialist your input regarding new approaches, policies and procedures to improve efficiency of the department will be highly valued. Recruiting, onboarding, conducting exit interviews, monitoring performance reviews and managing and tracking employee disciplinary action will require sensitivity to corporate needs and the ability to relate to individuals at all levels within the organization. This position will also be responsible for management of all employee benefits.
Business hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday with a1 hour unpaid lunch break and two 10minute paid breaks.
Applications will only be accepted through our online portal and will be require an attached cover letter and resume.
All responses will be held in the strictest confidence. Only qualified candidates will be contacted for further information. No expenses related to submittal, interview or relocation will be reimbursed by Miller Hull.
Duties and Responsibilities:
(This listing is a partial list of tasks which are required for this position and may be subject to change at any time)
- Manage payroll process and all related payroll functions accurately. Administer payroll semi-monthly for multi-state, 101 person team. Maintain payroll/HRIS system (Paylocity).
- Benefits administration – assist employees with enrollment, help employees understand benefits, help to resolve problems, etc. Assist with annual open enrollment process. Roll out new benefits as applicable
- Administer 401K plan including testing and compliance
- Maintain compliance with federal, state and local employment and benefits laws and regulations. Compliance reporting – ACA, EEO, Just, Workers Comp and others as needed
- Studying existing and new legislation; anticipating legislation; enforcing adherence to requirements; advising management on needed actions
- Coordinate with legal counsel on immigration and visa applications
- Administer leave programs – including FMLA/CFRA/PDL
- Develop and update job descriptions and job specifications
- Prepare recruitment materials and post jobs to appropriate job board/newspapers/colleges etc
- Source and recruit candidates by using databases, social media etc
- Conducts employment verifications
- Onboard new employees in order to become fully integrated
- Maintains human resources records by recording new hires, transfers, terminations, changes in job classifications, merit increases; tracking vacation, sick, and personal time. Set-up payroll arrangements for new hires and terminate ex-employee profiles.
- Write, revise, edit and proofread company policies and procedures and related documents as needed. Use company intranet to communicate information and changes.
- Act as a resource for payroll/HR contacts to ensure their understanding and compliance with benefits and HR policies and regulations. Keep management advised of potential problem areas and recommend/implement solutions as appropriate.
- Other duties may later be assigned
Required Skills and Experience:
- Degree in Human Resources, Business, Accounting or 3-5 years of HR and PR experience
- Experience with payroll, benefits and compensation programs and other HR programs
- Experience with applicant tracking systems and payroll systems
- Experience maintaining affirmative action plans
- Proficient computer skills, including Microsoft Office Suite
- Take initiative, self-motivated, organized, detailed oriented and can successfully prioritize deadlines
- Diplomatic and effective communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience with performance management
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of information
- Aptitude for numbers and exceptional commitment to accuracy
Preferred Skills, but not required:
- Experience with HR in a professional services firm
- Experience with government contract employment requirements
- Multi-state experience, specifically Washington and California
- Experience with Paylocity and Deltek Vision software
- Certifications in payroll and/or SHRM
- Problem solving and analytical skills
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include ability to adjust focus.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate as the working environment is open and has no doors or cubicles.
The Miller Hull Partnership, LLP is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, protected veteran status or disability, citizenship, pregnancy, maternity, marriage, civil partnership, or any other basis of discrimination prohibited and protected by applicable law.