NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that formal applications required to be completed in order to apply for the entry-level position of Patrol Officer in the Bethlehem Township Police Department are now available in the office of the Township Manager at the Bethlehem Township Municipal Building, 4225 Easton Avenue, Bethlehem, PA 18020-1496. The applications are also available for download on-line at Bethlehem Township’s website (www.bethlehemtownship.org).
This position is governed by the Civil Service Rules and Regulations of Bethlehem Township. Starting salary is contractually set at approximately $59,765.
The applicant, at a minimum:
(1) EITHER-OR REQUIREMENT: Must show proof of EITHER valid Act 120 certification (Municipal Police Officers' Education and Training Act), OR successful completion of sixty (60) college credits received from an accredited institution of higher learning:
(2) Must have reached his/her twenty-first (21st) birthday before the deadline for submitting completed applications;
(3) Must be a resident of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania or become such within thirty (30) days of appointment;
(4) Must possess a high school or general equivalency diploma;
(5) Must possess a valid motor vehicle operator’s license and must obtain a valid Pennsylvania motor vehicle operator’s license at time of employment;
(6) Must be a United States citizen;
(7) Must be physically and mentally fit to perform the full duties of a police officer;
(8) Must be able to speak, write, and read the English language;
(9) Must complete an application form, which must include a check or money order (no cash accepted) for $50.00 to cover processing costs. Check should be made payable to “Bethlehem Township.”
Applicants who pass all Civil Service tests may be subject to a complete background investigation and polygraph examination by the Bethlehem Township Police Department. Such investigation will cover personal and professional qualifications, to include credit history, driver’s license status, drug use, prior arrests, and academic/employment record.
Completed application materials must be received, by mail or in person, in the office of the Township Manager (listed above) not later than the filing deadline of Noon (12 p.m.), Friday, June 15, 2018. Applications received after the filing deadline, or those applications found to be incomplete, will be rejected.
If a candidate’s application is filed before the deadline and is determined to be complete, the candidate will be notified by Bethlehem Township of his/her eligibility to take the written examination portion of the application process.
The written examination will be conducted Saturday, June 30, 2018, at a site and time to be determined. A candidate is eligible to take this examination ONLY if he/she has been notified by Bethlehem Township that his/her application has been determined to be complete.