Post-Doctoral Associate, Antibody Discovery
The International AIDS Vaccine Initiative’s Neutralizing Antibody Center (IAVI-NAC) located at Scripps Research is seeking motivated postdoctoral associates for antibody discovery for different infectious diseases, including HIV, antimicrobial resistant bacteria, and other emerging infectious diseases. The individual will use standard platforms for discovery, such as single memory B cell sorting and 10x Genomics, as well as develop new platforms for discovery of highly functional antibodies. The antibodies from this work will be used to further support vaccine design efforts and add to IAVI’s antibody product development portfolio. We are seeking candidates with a background in antibody discovery, immunology, protein design, protein biochemistry, and/or structural biology. The candidate will have a recent Ph.D. or M.D./Ph.D. in a relevant field, a strong publication record, and experience working in an interdisciplinary team environment.
• Setup and operation of cell sorters for antigen-specific single cell sorting
• Molecular biology to clone and express antibody variable genes
• Characterization of monoclonal antibodies, including epitope binning, neutralization, and effector function assays
• Protein production and purification in mammalian systems
• RNA extraction and NGS library prep
• Analysis of antibody and transcriptomics NGS data
• Data analysis and interpretation, creative thinking, and solution-oriented to address technical hurdles
• Mentor junior staff and collaborate with colleagues
• Drafting manuscripts and publication of research, present findings at major scientific conferences
• Conduct independent research on a research topic with short and long-term objectives
EDUCATION AND WORK EXPERIENCE:
• PhD or MD/PhD or equivalent
• Working knowledge in HIV vaccine design or immunology a plus, but not required
• Knowledge and experience with protein biochemistry and production preferred
• Working in a fast-paced environment and capable of adhering to timelines and important milestones
• Excellent communication skills, including writing reports and manuscripts and delivering engaging presentations
• Ability to organize a daily workload by priorities, work independently and as a team member
• Strong work ethic and interpersonal skills
• In-depth understanding of entire MS Office suite
• Cultural sensitivity and respect for diverse colleagues
• Motivated and committed to IAVI’s mission of translating science into global health impact
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
The work environment and physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Mobility to perform the essential functions of the position
• Hearing and speech sufficient to verbally communicate in person and on the telephone constantly (66-100%)
• Typical office environment
• Occasional travel off-site for team meetings with collaborators, as needed (up to 20%)
• Ability to travel to IAVI offices in New York
• Perform other duties as assigned
IAVI IS A NONPROFIT SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH ORGANIZATION DEDICATED TO ADDRESSING URGENT, UNMET GLOBAL HEALTH CHALLENGES INCLUDING HIV AND TUBERCULOSIS. OUR MISSION IS TO TRANSLATE SCIENTIFIC DISCOVERIES INTO AFFORDABLE, GLOBALLY ACCESSIBLE PUBLIC HEALTH SOLUTIONS.
THROUGH SCIENTIFIC AND CLINICAL RESEARCH IN AFRICA, INDIA, EUROPE, AND THE U.S., IAVI IS PIONEERING THE DEVELOPMENT OF BIOMEDICAL INNOVATIONS DESIGNED FOR BROAD GLOBAL ACCESS. WE DEVELOP VACCINES AND ANTIBODIES IN AND FOR THE DEVELOPING WORLD AND SEEK TO ACCELERATE THEIR INTRODUCTION IN LOW-INCOME COUNTRIES.
IAVI PROGRAMS AND PARTNERSHIPS ARE GROUNDED IN THE REGIONS OF THE WORLD WHERE THE DISEASE BURDEN IS THE GREATEST, AND OUR APPROACH EMPHASIZES SUSTAINABILITY. OUR NETWORK OF CLINICAL RESEARCH CENTER PARTNERS IN AFRICA AND INDIA HELPS STRENGTHEN IN-COUNTRY RESEARCH CAPACITY AND SUPPORTS THE TRAINING AND EDUCATION OF THE NEXT GENERATION OF SCIENTISTS. THE GLOBAL IMPACT OF OUR SCIENCE INCLUDES FUNDAMENTAL CONTRIBUTIONS TO UNDERSTANDING THE BIOLOGY OF HIV INFECTION, WHICH IAVI AND OTHERS ARE APPLYING TOWARD ADVANCING VACCINE SCIENCE AND IMMUNOLOGY.
IAVI ACCELERATES SCIENTIFIC DISCOVERY AND DEVELOPMENT BY FOSTERING UNIQUE COLLABORATIONS AMONG ACADEMIA, INDUSTRY, LOCAL COMMUNITIES, GOVERNMENTS, AND FUNDERS TO EXPLORE NEW AND BETTER WAYS TO ADDRESS PUBLIC HEALTH THREATS THAT DISPROPORTIONATELY AFFECT PEOPLE LIVING IN POVERTY.
OUR GLOBAL REACH, INCLUDING A CLINICAL RESEARCH NETWORK IN FIVE COUNTRIES IN SUB-SAHARAN AFRICA AND IN INDIA, HAS ALLOWED US TO MAKE FUNDAMENTAL CONTRIBUTIONS TO UNDERSTANDING THE EPIDEMIOLOGY, TRANSMISSION, VIROLOGY, AND IMMUNOLOGY OF HIV. THIS WORK PLAYED A KEY ROLE IN FACILITATING THE DESIGN OF PROMISING HIV VACCINE CANDIDATES, AS WELL AS THE DISCOVERY OF BROADLY NEUTRALIZING ANTIBODIES THAT ARE NOW BEING ADVANCED AS PROMISING APPROACHES FOR HIV PREVENTION. OUR INTEGRATED CAPABILITIES IN VACCINE AND ANTIBODY DISCOVERY, DEVELOPMENT, AND CLINICAL RESEARCH TAKE ADVANTAGE OF BIO-PHARMACEUTICAL INDUSTRY EXPERTISE TO ACCELERATE THE DEVELOPMENT AND TESTING OF PREVENTION METHODS FOR HIV AND OTHER DISEASES. THROUGH THE PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT CENTER, WE SUPPORT EXTERNAL RESEARCHERS WITH TECHNICAL AND SCIENTIFIC EXPERTISE TO ACCELERATE THE DEVELOPMENT OF THEIR OWN PRODUCTS.
IAVI CORE VALUES
• DEDICATION TO THE MISSION: WE ARE COMMITTED TO THE TRANSLATION OF SCIENTIFIC DISCOVERIES INTO AFFORDABLE, GLOBALLY ACCESSIBLE PUBLIC HEALTH SOLUTIONS.
• INNOVATIVE EVOLUTION: WE ARE COMMITTED TO SOLVING COMPLEX PROBLEMS IN CREATIVE AND INNOVATIVE WAYS, LEARNING FROM OUR MISTAKES AND SUCCESSES AND NEVER GIVING UP
• INTEGRITY: WE ARE COMMITTED TO MEETING THE HIGHEST ETHICAL AND PROFESSIONAL STANDARDS IN EVERYTHING WE DO AND TO TAKING RESPONSIBILITY FOR OUR ACTIONS TO EARN RESPECT
• COLLABORATION: WE ARE COMMITTED TO EMBRACING DIVERSITY, THE POWER OF GLOBAL TEAMWORK AND THE BELIEF THAT BY WORKING AS ONE WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE
DISCLAIMER: NOTHING IN THIS JOB DESCRIPTION RESTRICTS MANAGEMENT'S RIGHT TO ASSIGN OR REASSIGN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES TO THIS JOB AT ANY TIME. THE ABOVE STATEMENTS ARE INTENDED TO DESCRIBE THE GENERAL NATURE AND LEVEL OF WORK BEING PERFORMED BY INDIVIDUALS ASSIGNED TO THIS POSITION. THEY ARE NOT INTENDED TO BE AN EXHAUSTIVE LIST OF ALL DUTIES, RESPONSIBILITIES AND SKILLS REQUIRED OF PERSONNEL SO CLASSIFIED. THIS DOCUMENT DOES NOT CREATE AN EMPLOYMENT CONTRACT, IMPLIED OR OTHERWISE, OTHER THAN AN “AT-WILL” RELATIONSHIP.
IAVI IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER actively committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive global organization. IAVI believes that diversity and inclusion among our teammates is critical, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a representative candidate pool. At IAVI, we celebrate the spectrum of colleagues’ experiences and believe that dedication to our mission above all is essential to our success as a scientific global non-profit. IAVI upholds these principles through IAVI’s Global Diversity and Inclusion Committee.