This job description is a summary of essential job functions necessary for the satisfactory performance of this position. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable those with disabilities to perform the essential job functions. Job functions may vary by location.
Leads implementation and delivery of comprehensive Precision Agriculture Programs encompassing two or more districts for current SSC customers. Provides sales and technology consultation for prospective customers. Effectively supports customers' efforts to maximize profitability and yield through the customized application of precision ag technology. Trains and coaches counterparts in the use precision ag tools, techniques, and systems, including GPS (Global Navigation Satellite System), GIS (Geographic Information System), crop consulting, field scouting, and data management. Partner with area sales to develop industry relationships and expand market share.
Essential Job Functions
- Actively support the development and growth of the precision ag program within assigned territory. Partner with area sales, operations, management, and other SSC counterparts to identify potential customers and secure market share. Assist with marketing and selling the precision ag program, and related technology and services, through various channels.
- Serve as first line of support for precision ag technology sales within the territory. Conduct on-site consultations with area salesmen to provide information on SSC precision ag services. Utilize effective communication skills to explain the benefits and technical aspects of precision ag tools, data gathering, and delivery directly to the production site. Identify customer priorities, production challenges and goals to use in formulating a customized site plan.
- Implement data management for sales opportunities. Analyze, interpret, and manage customer data through the use of precision ag systems and databases including Winfield's R7 tool, Climate's FieldView and other precision platforms. Compile data looking for sales opportunities and analytical trends in a timely manner to provide salesmen with real-time advice and recommendations based on accurate and actionable information. Create general templates that allow salesmen to create value added recommendations based on the information created in the general templates.
- Manage the soil sampling program using SSC standard operating procedures. Collaborate with respective labs to ensure seamless integration of soil test data into the data management program.
- Lead precision ag data management efforts, including: job/file transfer process, base station network, and imagery/scouting program. Assist in managing district telemetry program. Ensure the use of telemetry programs at each location to drive record keeping including as-applied maps. Once as-applied data is compiled, run trend analysis to information that will drive sales opportunities for salesmen. Assist District Manager or General Manager and Agronomist with plot programs. Ensure all fields serviced by SSC are included in the data management program.
- Train SSC team members within the designated territory on effective use of precision ag tools, resources, program administration, data management, fertilization calculation and other formulations. Provide coaching in field scouting and crop consulting. Clearly communicate information on technology products and services to individuals and small groups.
- Promote the SSC brand and business philosophy in a positive and customer-focused manner throughout the local community and sales region. Participate in local community meetings (grower meetings, local government, and extension meetings) to network, develop business relationships, and promote SSC precision ag programs. Demonstrate professionalism at all times in communication and appearance. Wear approved SSC uniform/attire and operate a neat and well-maintained vehicle.
- Maintain awareness of industry trends, improvements, regulations, and updates to SSC products and services. Utilize a variety of resources to meet development planning and continuing education requirements, including: professional organizations, seminars, conferences, training courses, self-study, and on-line tools.
- Perform work safely as to not cause harm to yourself, customers, co-workers, equipment, or inventory. Utilize Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) as required. Operate all equipment according to SSC policy and government regulations. Comply with OSHA regulations, Southern States Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) standards, work rules and policies.
- Perform all other job functions as assigned.
A combination of completed coursework and relevant experience may be considered in lieu of degree.
Education: Bachelor's Degree in Precision Ag Technology, Plant & Soil Sciences, Agribusiness, or related field
Experience:Requires five (5) years of experience delivering on-site Precision Ag solutions, or equivalent agriculture sales experience with technical knowledge of farming and production best practices. Demonstrated sales and leadership skills required. Previous Southern States work experience a plus.
& Licensing: Requires valid Driver's License
Requires Certified Crop Advisor
May require Commercial Driver's License
- This position requires the safe operation of a motor vehicle to perform essential job functions and mandatory compliance with the SSC motor vehicle safety policy
- Able to effectively apply technical skills for use of precision agriculture tools, equipment, and systems, including GPS and GIS
- Able to effectively apply knowledge of field scouting, crop consulting, fertilization calculations, and other formulations
- Able to effectively apply knowledge of farm management and crop production best practices to identify needs and advise customers on customized production operations
- Able to work both independently and as part of a team to execute area precision ag sales
- Able to apply project management skills for multiple projects
- Able to train, coach, and lead teams
- Able to communicate clearly and professionally
- Able to consistently demonstrate customer-focused interpersonal skills and business savvy
- Able to develop and maintain productive business relationships with area farmers and agricultural community members
- Able to perform data analysis and formulate recommendations with accuracy and attention to detail
- Computer literacy to utilize precision ag data management systems and MS Office products
- Able to work extended hours to meet business demands
- Able to meet travel requirements for designated sales territory
- Able to speak, read, write the English language in a proficient manner
Essential job functions are performed in a variety of environments, including on-site at customer sites, SSC local facilities, and an office setting. May regularly work outdoors unprotected from weather conditions and subject to seasonal temperatures and humidity. May require the frequent operation of a SSC motor vehicle for travel purposes. Travel requirements vary based on location and growing season.
Frequent exposure to hazards, including:
- Odors, fumes and hazardous chemicals associated with dry and liquid fertilizers, soil nutrients, crop protectants, fuel, and other agricultural products and equipment
- Dust, dirt, allergens, insects, pests and other factors associated with inspection of farming and crop production sites
- Products, supplies, and tools with sharp edges or containing hazardous materials
- Moving mechanical parts and vehicles, vibrations and electric current
- Noise levels where hearing protection is optional per PPE Plan
Schedule requirements are largely determined by area sales strategy. Ability to travel during adverse weather conditions may be required. Extended hours may be required at various times including peak growing season.
Physical Activities & Requirements
Physical activities may vary based on location.
- Continuously bend and stoop; finger, handle and utilize repetitive hand motion with products, soil/plant material, and various tools including computers; utilize eye/hand coordination; twist back and neck. Pull, push, lift, carry up to 30 pounds.
- Frequently balance, climb, and crouch; drive motorized vehicles; reach with arms and hands for extended periods; sit for extended periods; stand and walk for extended periods, at times may be on concrete or outdoors on uneven surfaces. Pull, push, lift, carry 30-50 pounds.
- Occasionally kneel and stack. Pull, push, lift, carry over 50 pounds, may be assisted.
Must be able to communicate with customers and counterparts in-person and via telephone regarding the daily business of sales, operations, products, services, and safety. Must be able to maneuver over uneven terrain while inspecting customer farming and production sites. Must be able to utilize vision and touch to diagnose problems and recommend solutions. Must be able to utilize hearing and vision to operate equipment including a motor vehicle. Specific vision abilities required by this position include: close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
Tools & Equipment
Specialized tools and systems related to precision agriculture, including GPS, GIS, and soil sampling tools. Seed, fertilizer, crop protectant, soil nutrients, and other tools, equipment and products as determined by specific location requirements. SSC passenger motor vehicle, telephone, hand held radio, computer, printer, scanner, copier, fax machine, writing instrument, reports, logs, spreadsheets. Commercial motor vehicle use may be required.
Southern States Cooperative, Inc., is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate against individuals based on their race, color, religion or belief, national or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, family medical history or genetic information, or any other status protected by federal, state or local laws, or regulations.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this job. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, functions and skills required for this job. Functions and requirements may change at any time with or without notice.