The DUET Principal Enterprise Architect will be responsible for all architecture activities in NYPA"s transformation to a digital utility. This individual will coordinate and drive activities in the enterprise, reference and data architecture domains.
The job entails working with other NYPA architecture groups to build a holistic view of the organization"s technology data, systems and processes. Successful candidates must be comfortable working in a "matrix-type" structure with relatively little initial guidance.
An ideal candidate will be an excellent leader and will have experience in managing staff of different disciplines and experience levels to produce results in a timely manner. They will also be able to develop efficient strategies and tactics.
The goal of the job is to ensure that business and IT stakeholders are aligned in achieving desired outcomes for Digital Utility and NYPA in general.
The position requires a balance of strategic process thinking and "rolling up the sleeves" to resolve tactical issues. Candidates can challenge the status quo by demonstrating a willingness to re-invent current processes, and embrace change as a challenge.
Ideal candidates possess the ability to make recommendations and inspire change across multiple levels of the organization - from individual engineers and program managers to business unit leaders. A "self-starter" approach to tackle a range of issues is essential.
- Define the overall enterprise architecture for a portfolio of businesses that will enable execution of desired Digital Utility outcomes
- Assist in building the capability to deliver on the strategy. This will include building out the critical infrastructure, data and analytics and services capabilities that will be needed to ensure that the entire company is moving forward aggressively
- Be a custodian of all the information technology assets across the enterprise, and ensure that the creation and consumption of information technology across the enterprise is optimized to fulfill business objectives
- Architecture definition and standards selection, and participation in the technology selection process. This includes governing compliance and managing exceptions of architecture, technology standards and patterns
- Relationships with external service provision and software vendors
- Work with IT Governance, PMO and business stakeholder teams on identifying initiatives, evaluating opportunities and promoting better use of IT solutions throughout the organization
- Define the reference architectures, develop roadmaps and oversee the implementation in line with the business strategy and information needs
- Coordinate with data governance and data architecture groups to design, own and maintain enterprise data and services portfolio across all NYPA functions.
- Prior experience in building and managing an architectural function
- Deep mastery of data and service-oriented architectures. Candidate must have a proven mastery of a wide range of systems architectures including solution frameworks and technologies from diverse vendors
- Experience with solution architectures encompassing transactional processing, data warehousing and integration, master data management (MDM), business intelligence, reporting and analytics, extract, transform, load (ETL), data mining and unstructured data and metadata
- Strong understanding of operational technology (OT), industrial control systems, relevant technologies, their applications, and interfaces with business systems
- Deep and practical understanding as well as significant and fresh hands-on development experience in various key cloud and data engineering technologies and emerging trends. For example: containers and orchestration, high scale data pipelines, distributed systems (for example blockchain), microservices, hybrid / multi-cloud systems, DevOps, machine learning, computer vision or IoT
- 10+ years of experience in architecture and architecture management roles
- Excellent knowledge of performance evaluation and change management principles
- Outstanding leadership and organizational skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and work with diverse personality types
- Superior presentation skills and ability to present ideas and material to partners in the organization
- Demonstrate strong analytical and problem-solving skills with a high attention to detail
- Ability to explain technical issues at a high level in collaborating with non-IT staff or executive leadership
- Be results driven - hold team members accountable, keep team engaged and on task by working collaboratively in a servant/leader manner
- Self-confidence to be assertive when taking a position and constructively resolve differences and build consensus among partners
- Bachelor"s Degree (B.A./B.S.) in Computer Science, Engineering, or related field. Advanced technical degree or MBA a plus, but not required