As a software engineer on the PlayerPlatform team, you will develop client-side libraries that are used by millions of people to stream live, on-demand, and recorded content on their devices. PlayerPlatform is an SDK that powers the video playback experience in Xfinity TV, Contour2, and FreeRange TV web apps as well as capable set-top-boxes and smart TVs. The SDK provides a video player that integrates with our video streaming, content protection (DRM), advertisement, emergency alert, and real-time analytics services. PlayerPlatform strives to provide a high quality, consistent playback experience across all the applications it runs on.
Who does the software engineer work with?
PlayerPlatform software engineers collaborate with industry experts from many disciplines: software architects, web application engineers, big data scientists, and various video streaming technologists. On a daily basis, you will be working on a small team that consists of product owners, software engineers, automation engineers, and quality assurance engineers. You will need to work closely with other technical teams internal and external to Comcast VIPER
What are some interesting problems you'll be working on?
Comcast manages an enormous amount of on-demand videos and thousands of linear channels. In order to support video playback of all of these different types of content, you will be developing new solutions to support our business as well as improve our customer experience. These features include picture in picture, casting, thumbnail scrubbing, and instant video startup. You will be working on tangible features that are used by millions of Comcast customers.
Where can you make an impact?
Your code will be responsible for all IP video playback streaming that is done at Comcast. It will be run on customers' devices millions of times a week and will be the primary Comcast product that they interact with. You can help improve our video playback experience by developing the most stable, highest quality video player in the industry. You'll be working with the brightest minds in Comcast building a video platform that will power Comcast for years to come. You will drive the future of the IP video industry.
· Build clean API's for video playback on web browsers
· Build reusable software components
· Design and implement end to end components related to video playback
· Analyze, optimize, and improve the code base
Skills & Requirements
· B.S. or M.S. Computer Science or equivalent experience
· Experience with TypeScript is a plus
· Strong knowledge of design patterns, algorithms and data structures
· Familiar with source control systems such as git
· Experience writing unit tests, integration tests, automation tests
· Experience designing clean, concise, maintainable APIs
· Good communicator and able to clearly articulate complex issues and technologies
· Familiar with a scripting language
· Ability to design, develop, and integrate a solution to completion
· Comfortable working in a fast paced agile environment