Responsible for development of new products and redesigns of existing products. A key aspect of this role is taking Research & Development projects to a state of production readiness. Scope includes new product design and testing, rationalization of existing product lines, redesign for cost reductions, product standardization and product line expansions. Range of products includes dehydration equipment, desiccant dryers, refrigerated dryers, filtration, fabricated metal pressure vessels, pneumatic valves, piping, heat exchangers and electronic controllers.
PRINCIPLE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS)
- Perform engineering calculations required to accurately determine product size, capacity, and performance to meet required design parameters.
- Facilitate development of project plans with assistance from Product Management, Sales & Marketing, Product Engineering, and Manufacturing Engineering. Manage all projects within scope of responsibility to desired deadlines and outcomes. Provide realistic, accurate development cost estimates for design projects and finished products.
- Assist in development of test apparatus as required to accurately test products. Apparatus must be safe to use, minimize cost and provide data necessary to adequately analyze the product.
- Analyzes research data, writes formal test reports and proposed product specifications to determine feasibility of product proposal for global markets.
- Prepares or directs preparation of product or system layout and detailed drawings and schematics and design for manufacturability.
- Directs and coordinates manufacturing or building of prototype product or systems.
- Analyzes test data and reports to determine if design meets functional and performance specifications.
- Confers with research and engineering personnel to clarify or resolve problems and develop designs in addition to preparing design modifications as required.
- Evaluates engineering test results for possible application to development of systems or other uses.
- Uses computer assisted engineering and design software and equipment to perform engineering and design tasks.
- Takes Research & Development projects to a state of production readiness to allow manufacture of marketable products.
Ability to read, analyze and interpret scientific and technical journals, financial reports and legal documents. Ability to respond to inquiries or issues from customers, and regulatory agencies. Ability to effectively present ideas and concepts to cross-functional audiences.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Bachelor's degree (BS) from four-year College or university in Mechanical Engineering or related field and two to five years related experience in a product development role.