FOJP Service Corporation has an exciting Professional Liability Investigator position available in their NYC office!
The Investigator serves as the primary investigator of lawsuits and occurrences at the institutions insured through FOJP's Insurance Program. In addition, the investigator also participates in committee meetings, risk management education programs and claim review activities. The Professional Liability Investigator assists in the defense of medical malpractice lawsuits and claim management, and identifies issues that may have an impact on the quality of care at insured institutions.
- Investigates lawsuits, letters of claim and potential high exposure alerts; reviews and summarizes medical records, interviews involved parties and generates investigation reports that cover all key issues and / or allegations.
- Reviews and integrates relevant information from the legal file and documents into the investigation process.
- Prepares, dictates/types, and submits investigation reports to the Word Processing Unit for finalization and distribution according to department protocol.
- Provides information on occurrences, issues, and findings to Manager, Professional Liability Investigation and hospital Risk Manager.
- Accurately documents investigative findings in Oasis claim system. Updates appropriate fields in OASIS following investigation, including the risk management database.
- Following investigation of a case, the PLI ensures the IA has appropriately requested the security of evidence.
- Reviews medical records for liability and authorize, on behalf of the client, their release as requested by attorneys or patients, as necessary.
- When the IA is not available, opens unasserted cases (alerts and ARLs) on the OASIS claim system and requests security of appropriate documents and items relevant to the defense of cases according to specified procedures.
- Reviews defense attorney correspondence as necessary; responds to defense counsel or the claim examiner/ attorney investigation requests for hospital records and/or policies, obtains/provides relevant medical evidence when the Investigative Assistant (IA) is not available, and conducts relevant interviews upon request by defense counsel or claim examiner.
Education and Experience Required:
- Must possess a current NYS RN, PA or healthcare related license.
- Must possess an AA/BA/BS degree
- Minimum of 3-5 years of clinical experience.
- Must demonstrate knowledge of medicine.
- Must possess excellent written and verbal communication skills and strong interpersonal and interviewing skills.
- Must possess basic Microsoft Office Suite skills.
- Must have the ability to work independently and to manage multiple priorities.
FOJP Service Corporation is one of the largest insurance and risk management organizations in the country and a leader in the risk management community. Since 1977, FOJP has administered property and casualty insurance programs for a group of major hospitals, long-term care facilities, and social service agencies in the metropolitan New York area. Some of the city’s most important and highly regarded academic medical centers – and more than 10,000 physicians –participate in FOJP’s professional liability insurance program, the first of its kind in the nation.
As risk management advisor to its clients, FOJP has a deep interest in initiatives to reduce patient injury and improve clinical outcomes. FOJP systematically collects and analyzes data on incidents, losses, and claims; help identify potential hazards; investigates adverse patient incidents; and provides claims administration and litigation management services. Through publications, seminars, education, and training courses, the company helps health care professionals respond to new developments in medicine and insurance regulation.
FOJP offers countless career opportunities and an environment which fosters professional advancement and success. Visit www.fojp.com to learn more about our company.
FOJP is an equal opportunity employer.