University City Science Center Job Posting:
Program Manager, Venture Café Philadelphia
Venture Café powered by Quorum is slated to become Philadelphia’s largest weekly gathering for the innovation, entrepreneur and startup ecosystem. The Program Manager, Venture Café Philadelphia will be a leader in Greater Philadelphia’s innovation community, helping Philadelphia maintain itself among the top US cities as a hub for startups. The ideal candidate will believe that innovation and entrepreneurship are instruments to improve the human condition, not ends themselves, and will be open to the idea that innovation and entrepreneurship take many forms beyond making apps and creating VC-funded startups. Through strategic and inclusive partnership development the Program Manager, Venture Café Philadelphia will manage the weekly event including scheduling presenters for panel discussions, workshops, info sessions, office hours and roundtables as well as volunteer staffing.
Local Leader; Global Connection
Venture Café powered by Quorum is part of the broader Venture Café Global Network which has a presence in six locations in the US and internationally. This role will closely collaborate with other Program Managers across the network, with ongoing opportunities to share and exchange innovative ideas that serve the innovation community. Additionally, the annual Global Gathering of the entire Venture Café Network provides a platform to collectively learn and share best-practices.
Innovation Ecosystem Engagement
The Program Manager, Venture Café Philadelphia will work in tandem with the VP Ecosystem Development and the Quorum team to convene, catalyze connections and help grow Philadelphia’s innovation and entrepreneurship communities. The Program Manager, Venture Café Philadelphia will help position Venture Café Philadelphia as a valuable neutral player in the local ecosystem.
Managing the Venture Café’s weekly networking event, Venture Café powered by Quorum
The Program Manager, Venture Café Philadelphia will be responsible for curating and managing Venture Café powered by Quorum, a weekly event that regularly convenes members of the innovation community in an inclusive and open way. This event strives to complement, not substitute or compete with, other existing innovation community gatherings in Philadelphia and at Quorum. Venture Café powered by Quorum is a social gathering to create opportunities for serendipitous encounters as well as structured conversations and events (seminars, info sessions, roundtables, etc.). The Program Manager, Venture Café Philadelphia will manage and grow an invite list, identify individuals and organizations to hold special events, and organize and run the weekly event. Your work may also include working with members of the Quorum team and the broader community to organize regular and special events.
The Program Manager, Venture Café Philadelphia has internal contacts with the entire administrative staff, Ecosystem Development Team, Marketing Team, and program managers, and external contact with business partners, government agencies and the community. The Program Manager, Venture Café Philadelphia is expected to work autonomously at times and exercise independent judgement. This position has access to sensitive UCSC and some start-up company information and is expected to handle such information with integrity and professionalism. This position has regular contact with the media, industry partners, local government officials, and members of the community and is expected to represent UCSC in a professional manner.
The Program Manager, Venture Café Philadelphia will report to the VP Ecosystem Development and participate in department/company activities as necessary.
Minimum Experience: 3-5 years of experience in program partnership and development. Demonstrated event execution experience is a must.
Minimum Education: BA/BS degree from an accredited college or university. Advanced degree welcomed.
Skills and Abilities
- Understanding of Philadelphia as a city, including its most pressing challenges (e. income inequality and unequal access to opportunity) and willingness to embrace them as opportunities for change and problem-solving.
- Deep understanding of Philadelphia as an innovation community, including the key players and belief in its potential for growth. Broad and interdisciplinary understanding of the innovation process, including its business and social components.
- Proven expertise envisioning, planning, and implementing events.
- An inclusive, welcoming, and hospitable approach – ability to build strong community while also solving problems, directly and honestly as they arise.
- Embrace Venture Café’s values and approach and lead by example, guided by the Venture Café Credo
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills, and also a skilled listener. Real, natural comfort with public speaking, in formal and informal settings.
- Ability to communicate and collaborate across business, academia, government, civil society, and other key stakeholders.
- An appreciation for the role of design and aesthetics in creating better communication tools, spaces, products, and services.
- Excellent organizational, project and task management skills.
- Clear views and positions without being dogmatic. Not a “yes person”. A diplomatic and consensus-oriented approach to decision-making.
- Ability to manage multiple facets of event planning and implementation with strong attention to detail in an often fast-paced and constantly changing environment. Commitment to follow up and follow through.
- A strong relationship with technology, including software (e.g. Adobe Suite, Salesforce, Google Suite, and Microsoft Office) and social media platforms (e.g. Twitter, Facebook, Instagram)
- Solid understanding of marketing, public relations, and communication strategies and ability to align these strategies with business objectives.
- Possesses strong interpersonal skills as demonstrated by compassionate, courteous, cordial, cooperative, and professional interaction with diverse groups of co-workers, external business partners, and the community.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer
Interested candidates should forward a resume along with salary requirements to: Human Resources, University City Science Center 3711 Market Street, Suite 800 Philadelphia, PA 19104 or email firstname.lastname@example.orgHelp.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
About the Science Center
Located in the heart of uCity Square, the Science Center is a mission-driven nonprofit organization that catalyzes and connects innovation to entrepreneurship and technology commercialization. For 50+ years, the Science Center has supported startups, research, and economic development in the life sciences, healthcare, physical sciences, and emerging technology sectors. As a result, graduate firms and current residents of the Science Center’s incubator support one out of every 100 jobs in the Greater Philadelphia region and drive $13 billion in economic activity in the region annually. By providing resources and programming for any stage of a business’s lifecycle, the Science Center helps scientists, entrepreneurs and innovators take their concepts from idea to IPO – and beyond.
For more information about the Science Center, go to www.sciencecenter.org