- Position Summary
This position supports the administrative and instructional functions of the Business Education Center (BEC). Oversees and monitors the daily operations of the center. This position reports to the Director of the BEC.
- Essential Functions
- Oversee daily functions of the center.
- Assist with coordinating, training, scheduling and monitoring BEC tutors and staff.
- Assist with budgeting and spending for supplies. Maintain inventory of supplies and recommend order levels to keep sufficient supplies on hand.
- Act as liaison between tutors and business faculty and work closely with them to ensure that the center meets the needs of TCC students.
- May perform clerical duties. Collect, compile and report BEC data.
- Coordinate development of business student support materials, including handouts and online resources.
- Keep up to date with policies and procedures and communicate to BEC staff.
- Be initial contact point for student, staff, and faculty issues or complaints that arise related to the BEC.
- Coordinate publicity efforts for the BEC (create brochures, update Facebook page, send emails, organize class visits, etc.)
- Maintain tutor schedules. Tutor students as needed.
- Refer students to appropriate tutoring programs, as well as other campus programs/resources when appropriate.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- Minimum Qualifications
- High School graduation or equivalent.
- One (1) year of clerical, customer service, or tutoring experience, preferably in a business related field -or- equivalent education/experience.
- Intermediate word processing and spreadsheet skills.
- Associates degree or higher in a business related field from an accredited college or university.
- Tutoring experience.
- Advanced computer skills in Microsoft Office programs.
- Familiarity with Canvas and TutorTrac
- Experience with data analysis and generating reports.
- Experience working with at risk or underprepared students.
- Familiarity with higher education environments including but not limited to academic support programs and/or student leadership programs.
Conditions of Employment
- Successfully pass a criminal history background check prior to employment.
- Regular and predictable attendance.
The Successful Candidate Must Demonstrate
- Excellent customer service skills; including building and maintaining internal/external customer satisfaction and the ability to problem solve.
- An appreciation of diversity and the benefits of a commitment to cultural awareness and sensitivity in the workplace.
- Ethics and integrity and sound professional judgment.
- Polite telephone etiquette.
- Strict confidentiality of all client and related information and sensitivity to student needs.
- Strong written, verbal, organizational and problem-solving skills.
- Reliability and integrity in maintaining assigned work schedules and completing assigned tasks.
- Effective working relationships with all members of the BEC staff as well as students who utilize our resources.
- Enthusiasm, self-direction, and ability to work well both independently and in a team environment.
- Ability to oversee multiple projects while producing work that is accurate, thorough, and on time.
- Application Process
- Application Materials & Procedures
Complete application packages must include the following. Selected candidates will be invited for an interview.
- Tacoma Community College online application form.
- Resume and cover letter -In your cover letter, describe how your background and experience align with the responsibilities for this position.
Terms of Employment
Tacoma Community College values diversity and is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Educator
Tacoma Community College provides equal opportunity in education and employment and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, creed, religion, or status as a veteran of war. Prohibited sex discrimination includes sexual harassment (unwelcome sexual conduct of various types). Provides reasonable accommodations for qualified students, employees, and applicants with disabilities in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and Federal Rehabilitation Act. The following persons have been designated to handle inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies: Beth Brooks, Title II and Title IX, 253-566-5054; Dolores Haugen, Section 504 Officer, 253-566-6090. Tacoma Community College is a smoke-free/drug free environment. This recruitment announcement does not reflect the entire job description and can be changed and or modified without notice.)
Tacoma Community College
6501 S 19th St Bldg. 14, Tacoma WA 98466 www.tacomacc.edu/abouttcc/employment
Benefits not applicable.
- 01Which best describes your level of education?
02How much clerical, customer service or tutoring experience do you have? Preferably in a business setting.
- High School graduate or equivalent
- Some College
- Associates degree from an accredited college or university
- Bachelors degree from an accredited college or university
- Masters degree or higher from an accredited college or university
03Please describe your clerical, customer service, or tutoring experience.04Which of the following best describes your level of proficiency with wordprocessing and spreadsheet software?
- Less than one year
- More than one year and less than two years
- Over two years
05Do you have experience working with Canvas and TutorTrac?
06Describe your experience with data analysis and generating reports.07Please describe your experience working with at-risk or underprepared student populations?08Do you have experience or familiarity with higher education environments? Environments such as academic support programs and/or student leadership programs.