Atkins has been providing infrastructure planning, engineering, construction, environmental consulting, urban planning, architecture, and program management services to public and private clients across the United States for more than 50 years.
Globally, Atkins is the largest UK-based engineering and design consultancy and one of world's largest design firms with nearly 18,000 employees worldwide. We have the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects.
Atkins seeks three (3) energetic and highly motivated Project Managers to join our Atlanta based Rail and Transit practice.
Under direction of the Program Manager, applies technical expertise and project management experience to manage project teams on transit related projects. Also, performs the basic project functions of project management including: budgeting, monitoring progress, scope development, mobilizing resources, coordinating with other project managers and teams, monitoring schedules, and may plan or supervise other technical, fiscal or administrative activities within the program.
Duties within framework of specific client program:
- Facilitates and confirms requisite Quality Assurance processes are being followed.
- Schedule - Monitors and reports to management on progress of project activity as impacts project schedule delivery (milestones) and costs. Responsible for schedule development, maintenance, monitoring and recovery plan as necessary.
- Facilitates regular meetings with management team to review and report on project status and identification of action items as necessary.
- Facilitates discussions with clients and key stakeholders, and expedites resolution of action items following meetings.
- Project delivery/Task order management - plans, directs, supervises and controls execution of task orders (scope, budget, schedule). Ensures proper requirements and supporting deliverables for projects are completed in accordance to client specifications.
- Resource responsibility - works with others to ensure that the project teams have appropriate resources to accomplish the work; responsible for executing project plans to staff understanding qualifications and strengths. Provides input or may perform performance reviews and development plans for staff.
- Maintains strategic partnerships with clients and project stakeholders to establish prioritization of requirements specific to each task order.
- Supports process improvement initiatives.
- Performs other responsibilities associated with the position as may be appropriate.
- Prepares project work plan, scope, schedule and budget, and communicates these to project team members; monitors/manages project production for compliance with schedule, budget and quality objectives.
PM duties reflective of Atkins overall:
- Establishes and maintains project files on the computerized project management information system, and periodically reviews project reports for accuracy and completeness.
- Reports financial status of projects to technical managers.
- Identifies new business opportunities for the firm, coordinates and participates in project presentations to clients and other external groups, and promotes firm's capabilities, marketing its services among existing and prospective clients.
- Participates in project opportunity evaluation, consultant selection, and the preparation of firm's qualification/experience statements.
- May supervise technical professionals, associate project managers and design staff including workload and staffing management.
- Performs such other duties as the supervisor may from time to time deem necessary.
Project management assignments at this level typically involve routine projects, characterized by changing conditions and requirements, challenging client/agency demands, or difficult project coordination.
Expect candidate to perform day to day, requiring limited supervision and guidance. However, consults with supervisor concerning unusual problems and developments.
WORK DIRECTION GIVEN TO OTHERS:
Guides, reviews, supervises and/or coordinates the work of a multi-disciplinary project team.
Bachelor's degree in Engineering or Information Technology required.
Minimum of 10 years of related transit work experience (design, construction, communications and network engineering and/or management).
Minimum of 3-4 years of transit related project/program management experience.
Ability to manage a project up to $100 million in total cost.
Strong interpersonal skills.
Excellent written and oral communication skills.
Thorough knowledge of transit industry practices and regulations.
Thorough knowledge of current technology and able to apply appropriate engineering software for use on projects.
Working knowledge of project controls: cost control, scheduling software and schedule control, document control and project administration. Working knowledge of earned value methods of assessing and reporting physical progress
Working knowledge of engineering work program development process.
Leadership and negotiations skills.
Proficiency in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, MS projects and SharePoint strongly desired.
Ability to effectively present information to stakeholders, top management and/or clients.
Professional Registration (PE) highly desirable.
PMP or PMI Certification is highly desirable.
General Competencies expected of all Professionals and Managers are as follows: Client Service, Commitment, Communication, Innovation & Continuous Improvement, Professionalism, Quality, and Teamwork.
Ability to process paper/electronic documents and utilize computer equipment; ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing; ability to visit project sites if necessary. Job also requires ability to plan, prioritize and review project plans and documents, evaluate alternatives, and devise appropriate solutions. Ability to work under the pressure of multiple projects. Travel may be required. For those positions where frequent local travel is required and no company vehicle is available, incumbent must own, and be legally able to operate, a motor vehicle. The vehicle must be in good working order, and insured. Mileage reimbursement allowance will be available.
Client specific criteria:
- While performing the duties of this job, the candidate may be frequently required to sit and talk or hear; use hands or fingers, handle, or operate objects, tools or controls; and reach with hands and arms.
- The staff member is occasionally required to walk.
- Candidate may be required to frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
- Client will require testing and compliance with client's drug and alcohol program.
Atkins offers its employees a robust rewards package which includes: a competitive salary; a broad benefits package including medical/RX, dental, vision, life, disability, legal, hospitalization and other valuable voluntary options; generous time-off programs; flexible work schedules; 401(k) with employer match; professional and career development opportunities through our corporate university, as well as a highly-regarded tuition reimbursement program; and an unmatched culture focused on client-service, quality, and tireless pursuit of excellence in all we do. Atkins is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace. EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability.
Please view Atkins Equal Opportunity Statement.