ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (Duties are performed throughout every work day, as necessary):
- Working with Business Development, lead the process for all RFPs coming into the firm; this includes managing the RFP/proposal process, initiating kick off calls, participating in strategy sessions, as well as building and maintaining relationships with other departments that contribute to RFPs, such as pricing, risk management, IT and more.
- Act as the lead proposal writer for policy and regulation proposals; act as back up for other practice areas.
- Manage and mentor the pursuits and proposals team, ensuring the use of best practices, processes, training, quality assurance and continuous improvement.
- Manage our centralized system for proposals and RFPs, including tracking and reporting win/loss statistics, leading rehearsals for client pitch presentations and interviews, and generally ensuring Akin Gump's best practices are used consistently when crafting proposals.
- Implement a go/no go process.
- Work with pursuits and proposals team to ensure lawyers participate in post-pitch evaluations to obtain feedback and trend analysis.
- Ensure all business development team members are appropriately trained on the Akin Gump pitch approach.
- Help identify inefficiencies in the pitch process and develop plan(s) to address.
- Continuously look for new areas of growth and proactively help develop a strategy for identifying pursuits.
- Keep abreast of relevant market and competitive intelligence.
- Review and edit current proposal content to ensure it is compelling and correct; oversee ongoing editorial maintenance and quality control of all materials used in RFPs, client proposals and presentations and the external website, including lawyer biographies.
- Continue to build and refine the firm’s inventory of response materials that cover the firm, specific legal practices, lawyer capabilities and client services.
OTHER ESSENTIAL DUTIES (Duties are performed periodically, as necessary):
- Draft, edit and proofread copy for collateral communications and other materials as needed.
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES:
- Ability to read, write and speak English
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including strong writing and editing skills
- Superior organizational and project management skills
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, including Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint
- Familiarity with AP style guidelines and relational databases
- Ability to work independently and with a team
- Strong work ethic, service orientation and an ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with peers, office and firm management, and outside business partners
- Ability to exercise independent judgment and to use critique of work to improve performance
- Ability to work on multiple projects, to work overtime as required, to deal with stress around deadlines and to set and enforce deadlines with lawyers and BD team
- Commitment to the office and firm
- Commitment to professional growth and development
EDUCATIONAL QUALIFICATIONS/JOB EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Minimum of 4 years’ experience writing marketing materials, including proposals/RFPs
- Experience in professional services firm preferred, with knowledge of law firms and legal industry a plus