POSITION/TITLE: Purchasing Assistant
REPORTS TO: Purchasing Manager
POSITION SUMMARY: Purchasing Assistant will assist the Purchasing Manager with the purchasing of all materials, supplies, equipment and services used by Shaver Transportation Company, including negotiating terms, maintaining records of business transactions and office activities by performing the following duties:
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES Other duties may be assigned.
- Copies data and compiles records and reports.
- Operates office machines such as computers, calculators, and duplicating machines.
- Purchases supplies.
- Data entry of all purchase orders.
- Maintains records in accordance with Quality Control Program.
- Calling, faxing, mailing or emailing to vendors of all new purchase orders.
- Reviews requisitions. Prepares purchase orders or bid requests. Batch and code invoices.
- Evaluates and selects vendors.
- Confers with vendors to obtain product or service information such as price, availability, and delivery schedule.
- Receives and contacts vendors to find out status of an order.
- Contacts vendors with discrepancies with quantity and quality.
- Interfaces with all departments and resolves problems and issues with need purchase items.
- Reviews bid proposals and negotiates contracts within budgetary limitations and scope of authority.
- Help develop our inventory tracking system.
- Assists other departments as needed.
- Drive to and from various locations to pick up and/or drop off supplies including vendor establishments, shaver facilities, or vessels.
- Wash and clean our fleet of vehicles.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: Must have demonstrated experience utilizing negotiating skills, organizational skills for efficient office control, ability to communicate professionally with people at all levels of the organization and external contacts.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Demonstrate solid decision-making skills.
- Posses and maintain a valid driver's license
- Obtain and maintain Workers Transportation Identification Credential (TWIC)
- Obtain and maintain a Port Card (after offer of employment)
- Pass a criminal history background check
- Pass a pre-employment medical evaluation
- Pass a pre-employment drug test (Shaver is a drug free workplace)
- Must be able to read, speak, and write English well enough to understand written directives, manuals, and instructions that directly affect job duties and assignments.
- Individuals must have the ability to stand and walk on an almost constant basis
- bend rotate and reach frequently
- carry, push, pull and / or lift materials weighing in excess of 50 pounds
- ascend and descend stairs and ladders safely
- manipulate, handle, and grip materials required to perform job functions
- sit or stand as needed and walk primarily on non-level and sloping surfaces for periods throughout the day
- Must be able to reach above shoulder height and below the waist or lifting as required to file documents or store materials throughout the workday
- Must use proper lifting techniques
The performance of this position may occasionally require exposure to the maintenance areas where the use of personal protective equipment such as safety glasses with side shields and mandatory hearing protection will be required. Primary environment: ambient room temperatures, lighting and traditional office equipment as found in a typical office environment.
Shave Transportation Company is committed to providing equal employment opportunity in all of its employment practices. Decisions involving every aspect of the employment relationship are made without regard to an employee's race, color, national origin, ethnicity, religion, gender, identity, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, age, disability, marital status, military/veteran status, genetic information, or any other status or characteristic protected under applicable local, state, or federal laws.
Do to the volume of applications we receive during job postings our management team respectfully asks that you DO NOT call our office to inquire about your application status. If you have questions or concerns please contact our Human Resources department via email. Because of the unpredictable nature of our work, and the short notice Shaver Transportation receives to fulfill our responsibilities in the port, local Residence is preferred.