The position is charged with providing leadership and management for the quality function at OBU manufacturing plants. The position implement Thorlabs quality management system requirements. Although the location of the position is in Newton, NJ, from time to time it may be required to undertake duties at other ThorLabs locations.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Communicates customer, regulatory and organizational requirements to assure product quality, contract compliance and customer satisfaction.
- Oversees the effective documentation and implementation of the quality management system within assigned BU to assure compliance with customer and regulatory requirements and the standards set by corporate/division policies.
- Managing implemented quality systems.
- Documentation System, Design Control System, Incoming Inspection, Calibration and Equipment Preventive Maintenance, Final Product Release Process, In-Process Product Testing and Inspection System
- Assess supplier capabilities and monitor supplier quality to ensure desired levels of performance. Implements quality production program to ensure conformity of purchased material and final products to quality standards.
- Maintains a supplier quality index, utilizing statistical control programs, to assure that only high-quality vendors are retained.
- Initiates contact with vendors to fix quality issues and improve supply chain.
- Provides direct support for Technical Support and OEM teams with customer issues.
- Oversees vendor return process to verify efficient processing and crediting of nonconforming product.
- Prepares all necessary reports as required by customers, vendors, and staff personnel.
- Implements Quality Measurement Systems which enable the publishing of data routinely to facilitate process improvements, product improvements, quality awareness and employee training.
- Hire candidates; monitor attendance, performance, training; complete performance assessments; make termination recommendations as necessary.
- Manage department priorities.
- Manages the use and preventative maintenance of the following:
- Spectrophotometer to confirm and interpret spectral scans
- OptoSpheric lens measurement system to verify focal lengths
- Laser engravers
- Minimum 5 years of experience in a similar position preferred.
- ASQ Certification Strongly Desired (one or more of the following CMQ/OE, CQA, CQE, CSSBB, CSSGB)
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Basic computer knowledge such as but not limited to Microsoft products and Axapta.
- Experience with Quality in an R&D / New Product Development Environment.
- Experience with quality improvement tools and techniques (i.e., Lean, Six Sigma, Statistical Process Control, and Failure Mode & Effects Analysis).
- Strong ability to work well in a group atmosphere, and comply with high quality standards.
- Strong attention to detail.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.