Are you an ambitious, compliance-focused Food Safety/Quality Assurance professional that excels in highspeed work environments; evaluating processes, and identifying opportunities to mitigate deficiencies? Then join Smithfield Foods, a $15 billion global food company and the world's largest pork processor and hog producer! For more information, visit www.smithfieldfoods.com, and connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram.
As part of our FS/QA team, you would conduct routine sanitation checks, ensuring that HAACP and USDA regulations are strictly enforced. Providing technical expertise to track product from start to finish, and develop corrective actions when needed. You will be responsible for ensuring that we are able to safely deliver the best Smithfield, Eckrich, Nathan’s Famous, or any of our product brands to customers and consumers.
This position is responsible for ensuring the overall quality in their assigned areas through the management of regulatory, company, and customer policies, programs and work instructions. This role is expected to conduct accurate grading and documentation of product quality against published product specifications. This position is responsible for monitoring plant programs, which may include but is not limited to: pre-op sanitation; carcass, product and room temperatures; product leakers; and GMPs. Assists in managing quality programs and exercising technical expertise, including training, assessing performance and making improvements.
- Conduct all quality inspections in the area of assigned responsibility.
- Maintain quality objectives, prevent complaints and claims and keep quality to specifications through accurate inspections, non-compliance procedures, appropriate reporting, corrective actions and accuracy of paperwork along with sample submissions.
- Routine verifications and inspections include process, metal detector, cooking, and chilling type checks.
- Responsible for catching out of specification product by stopping the production process or removing product for rework as required.
- Works with other departments to implement procedure changes, based on predetermined specifications, involving raw materials and finished goods to remedy the cause of any non-compliance as quickly as possible.
- Ability to interpret customer and sales specifications and apply subjective quality decisions to product (ie: product appearance, color, texture, etc).
- Required to take action in response to poor observations by identifying and correcting deficiencies for negative micro or shelf life data in their area of responsibility with an eye toward improvement.
- Utilize technical knowledge to prevent and identify the root cause of process or product failures.
- Continuous improvement of product quality through attention to process expected.
- Activities will include Quality Assurance program management, training line and other Quality Assurance employees in quality functions, daily product shows, assessing specs and updating Operations, monitoring giveaway and yields for opportunities.
- In the absence of key personnel the employee’s supervisor or qualified designee (one that has been trained in the key employee's duties) is responsible to complete or delegate the completion of all required tasks and responsibilities.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED), required
- Associate’s degree, preferred
- Ability to create, revise and interpret technical documents such as quality specifications, safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals
- Knowledge and understanding of quality assurance principles, food science and meat processing
- A high level of technical expertise, ownership and practical knowledge of all Quality Assurance and regulatory programs
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence
- Ability to use exposure monitoring equipment, interpret and communicate results
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form
- Ability to work on the internet, Spreadsheet, Presentation and Word Processing software
- Comprehensive experience and understanding of USDA Rules and Regulations
- Ability to uphold regulatory, company, and customer standards
- Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community.
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while building strong working relationships and a positive work environment.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong decision making and problem solving skills
Work Environment & Physical Demands
The work environment characteristics & physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Office and plant setting. The plant environment will include wet or humid conditions (non-weather related), extreme cold and heat (non-weather related), working near moving mechanical parts, exposure to fumes or airborne particles, and chemicals.
- Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can be loud when in the production area.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds
- Specific vision includes close vision, distance vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- Frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear.
Smithfield, is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, gender identity, protected veterans status or status as a disabled individual or any other protected group status or non-job related characteristic as directed by law.
Careers and Benefits
To learn more about Smithfield’s benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits