Plastipak Packaging is a global industry leader in the design and manufacturing of plastic rigid containers of the highest quality. Our list of customers include some of the worlds most recognized and respected brands such as Procter & Gamble, Kraft Foods and Pepsi, just to name a few. Plastipak is fully invested in our associates providing hands-on training opportunities, unlimited access to industry innovations and motivation for career development. Our commitment to our employees is demonstrated in numerous awards for innovation, environmental sustainability, and corporate citizenship. We pride ourselves on an environment where our associates have the freedom and encouragement to reach beyond the ordinary, with unlimited possibilities.
Plastipak is an equal opportunity employer.
The Quality Engineer is responsible for ensuring customer satisfaction by establishing procedures, monitoring process input and output capabilities, and leading continuous improvement activities. They will verify preform, bottle and label requirements are met in a safe, accurate, and timely manner to ensure reduction of produced defective product and defect-free product shipments. They will direct and coordinate activities related to customer complaints, SPC, and Continuous Improvement.
- Analyzes and interprets SPC data to understand process input and output variation as it relates to process capability. Responsible for initiating action when processes are out of control or out of spec.
- Conducts studies using statistical and analytical tools, such as DOEs and Gauge R&Rs, to ensure measurement accuracy, and process & machine capability.
- Devises sampling procedures to confirm Critical To Function (CTF) requirements are documented, specifications are met and process control is sustained.
- Leads site Continuous Improvement Team
- Manages Global Change Control Team to ensure any process, machine or material changes are properly documented, verified and validated throughout the conversion process
- Responsible for ensuring the 19 key elements are consistently met and are capable of being sustained
- Uses problem solving tools such as fish bone diagrams, 5-Why analysis, etc… to ensure true root cause is identified and corrected.
- Responsible for managing site qualifications and specified projects, communicating results throughout the organization
- Establishes and maintains good relationships with customers by visiting customer plants for qualification of new materials, quality concerns, and periodic meetings.
- Initiates corrective actions per company requirements and works with operations teams to validate effective measures are implemented to prevent future reoccurrence of similar issues
- Develops work instructions for relevant job tasks associated with products, processes, and testing requirements.
- Compiles and writes training material and conducts training sessions on quality control activities.
- Responsible for reporting food safety issues to personnel with authority to initiate action.
- Associates or Bachelor’s degree in related field.
- Minimum 1-3 years’ experience working in a manufacturing environment
- Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal skills
- Understanding of basic manufacturing principles; i.e. GMP, Lean, 5S, 6-Sigma etc.
- Strong understanding of basic SPC analysis (ppk / cpk, std deviation, UCL / LCL, etc.)
- Capable of interpreting SPC charts (i.e histograms, pareto charts, X-MR, X-Bar/R charts, etc.)
- Multi-task and handle multiple problems without routine management supervision
- Ability to lead cross functional teams in root cause investigations and Continuous Improvement activities
- Willing to travel when given short notice should there be any customer quality problems
- Regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear.
- Frequently is required to stand; walk; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
- Occasionally required to sit and climb or balance.
- Must regularly lift and/or move up to fifteen pounds, occasionally lift and/or move up to fifty pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.