Job Summary: Responsibile for a retail back-up storage area, regarding receiving, storing, issuing merchandise; laying out back-up storage area floor plans; reallocating storage space and the custody of equipment and supplies.
Duties and Responsibilities: Provides assistance to multiple outlying warehouse locations by maintaing necessary documentation required for layaways, and oversees will-call and chargeback functions.
- Directs all activities involved in the receipt, inspection, quality control, ticketing, picking, consolidation, storage, packing of merchandise in and out of the back up storage area. Arranges for transportation of merchandise to locations.
- Controls merchandise from receipt until placement to the sales floor. Accountable for the disposition of all receipts; identifies deficiencies in controls and initiates corrective action to preclude recurrence. Interprets basic warehousing policies as they apply.
- Plans the layout and utilization of the receiving area based on the amount of merchandise and flow of work; recommends the procurement of material handling equipment to supervisor.
- Determines the methods for physically inspecting merchandise, maintaining a high efficiency of the receiving, marking and checking process, movement of merchandise from the storage area to the sales floor, and the accurate flow of merchandise through the marking function.
- Analyzes material and labor costs to effect the economies; evaluates operating methods to achieve maximum utilization of the receiving, storage space, marking and checking process and stock replenishment; makes recommendations for allocating and determining space management policies and procedures. Recommends changes to the system to maintain and upgrade service levels.
- Conducts frequent inspections of equipment and makes necessary adjustments to meet mission requirements; follows prescribed maintenance program and makes recommendations for repair or replacement.
- Responsible for the management and safe operation of a fleet of vehicles. Includes equipment requirements, maintenance programs, delivery schedules along with complying with federal, state and DOD regulations.
- Provides assistance and guidance concerning maintenance and safety of vehicles. Reviews cost and performance data to determine operating efficiencies, the efficiency and economy of the motor vehicle fleet, compliance with all established policies and procedures and validity of vehicle authorizations. Ensures that daily inspections of fleet equipment is performed by operators.
- Establishes and monitors preventative maintenance and repair programs for motor vehicles. Determines maintenance and repair priorities; establishes maintenance schedules, reviews and evaluates work-in process and completed work to assure compliance with established standards. Reviews and analyzes major component repairs; provides guidance as required. Ensures that daily inspections of fleet equipment is performed by operators along with complying with all federal, state and DOD regulations.
- Coordinates training needs of personnel involved in operation of distribution center motor vehicles (with emphasis on Safety and HAZMAT operations). Collects safe driving information and mileage facts for National Safety Council to remain current on driver award programs.
- Supervises subordinate personnel engaged in performing backup warehousing functions. Approves leave and vacation schedules; enforces work rules; establishes internal operating policies and procedures and initiates programs or projects to serve mission needs. Develops safe working conditions and practices and assures adherence to same. Interviews and selects personnel; completes performance appraisals; reviews proposed disciplinary actions; resolves grievances and complaints and otherwise develops a cohesive work force.
- Implements Navy Resale Manual and related NEXCOM directives to fit specific operational requirements of the section. Prepares internal instruction/guides for personnel to follow in the performance of their assigned duties and responsibilities; initiates and revises directives to govern the back room operation.
- Assists in the preparation of a variety of operational statistical reports to be used in analyzing and evaluting the effectiveness of the center.
- Supervises and participates in the taking of periodic and special inventories.
- Ensures compliance with established safety, security, fire prevention procedures, directives and good housekeeping throughout areas of supervision. As required, prepares safety and security reports.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Works under the general supervision of a designated supervisor who outlines work objectives and priorities, and provides initial instructions on new or unusual problems. Incumbent selects and interprets guidelines and chooses between alternatives. Completed work is reviewed for attainment of objectives, soundness of judgment, overall technical adequacy and adherence to local instructions, regulations, policies and procedures.
TRAINING REQUIREMENT: Associate must receive Hazardous Material (HazMat) training within 90 days of hire per Department of Transportation regulations
A total of 5 years of experience, consisting of the following:
GENERAL EXPERIENCE: 3 years of responsible experience in administrative, professional, investigative or other responsible work, which enabled the applicant to gain a knowledge of one or more aspects of physical distribution support. Such experience may have been gained in warehousing, purchasing, merchandising, industrial planning, engineering, inventory control or data processing.
OR SUBSTITUTION OF EDUCATION FOR EXPERIENCE: 1 year academic study above the high school level may be substituted for each 9 months of experience up to a maximum of a 4 year bachelor's degree for 3 years of general experience.
AND SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: 2 years of progressive responsible experience which provided a knowledge of overall distribution and warehouse management systems and techniques; materials handling practices and procedures; or experience in one or more areas of storage and distribution activities such as physical receipt, inspection, storage, stock rotation, stock levels and distribution flow to locate sites; and exempt or nonexempt supervisory experience; or similar work which demonstrated the knowledge and abilities in a distribution environment.