The Operating Room staff nurse is directly responsible to the Operating Room Patient Care Manager ( delete Director of OR Services).
His/Her responsibilities include:
- Assessing, planning, implementing, and evaluating the nursing care of patients undergoing surgical intervention.
- Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients served
- Demonstrates knowledge of the principles of growth and development
- Possesses the ability to assess data reflective of the patient's status and interprets the appropriate information needed to identify each patient's requirements relative to his/her age specific needs
- To provide the care needed as described in the department's policies and procedures with a focus on surgical counts, prepping, timeouts, and specimen handling.
- Documents care according to the requirements of hospital policy
- Completes charges according to hospital policy
- Maintains an accurate implant log meeting all the requirements of hospital policy
- Demonstrates the critical thinking skills to respond in an emergency situation
- Maintains current status in all educational offerings of the hospital and department
Performance expectations will be covered in the orientation and precepted phases of your orientation to your job.
- Demonstrates technical aptitude for dealing with and troubleshooting multiple pieces of Operating Room equipment including but not limited to electro-cautery, bi-polar devices, suctions, drills, video equipment, lasers, microscopes, headlights, surgical lights, and OR tables.
- Demonstrates the aptitude for use of patient positioning devices in a variety of required ways using a full range of positioning devices inclusive of but not limited to yellow fin stirrups, Jackson Frames, peg boards, bean bags, kidney rests, and fracture tables.
- Demonstrates aptitude for assisting anesthesia as needed throughout the procedure but especially during induction and reversal.
- Demonstrates the ability to tolerate high and low temperature ranges set to accommodate desired patient outcomes.
- Demonstrates the ability to tolerate physically demanding tasks of moving equipment and patients utilizing safety measures for both yourself and/or patient.
- Demonstrates ability to properly label and process specimens collected from the field.
- Demonstrates the ability to safely scrub, gown and glove, maintain the sterile field, and hold retractors or heart as needed.
Education: Graduate of a recognized non-online RN program required.
Work Experience: Experience as OR RN preferred but not required.
Certification/Licensure: Current license - Mississippi State Board of Nursing required.Preferred certifications: PALS & ACLS.