Job Title: X-Ray Technician / Medical Assistant
Department: Back Office
Reports To: Medical Assistant Supervisor
The X-Ray Technician / Medical Assistant is responsible for the facilitation of patient care in the clinic by acting as an assistant to the physician. X-Ray Technician / Medical Assistant serve the clinic and the patients by performing the following duties.
Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Confirms purpose of patient visit.
- Dispenses medications and reiterates the physician’s instructions to the patient.
- Applies splints, dressings, and casts.
- Administers injections and immunizations.
- Collects the patient’s vital signs.
- Fills out appropriate forms with accurate data.
- Runs appropriate testing and collect data. The following are examples of testing that the X-Ray Technician / Medical Assistant may be required to perform:
Urine Drug Screen Collection
PPD Application and Reading
Pulmonary Function Test
Breath Alcohol Test
Eye Chart/ Vision Tests
Back Flexibility Exam
Respirator Fit Test
Fitness (Step Test)
- X-Ray Technician performing an x-ray will:
- Perform diagnostic radiographic services limited to chest, extremities, and torso-skeletal.
- Operate imaging equipment.
- Position patients correctly.
- Explain the radiology procedure to the patient.
- Immobilize the patient as necessary.
- Calculate exposure factors.
- Practice radiation protection.
- Evaluate radiographs for technical quality.
- Participate between medical staff and outside radiology offices.
- Maintain patient records and filing system.
- Prepare supply orders and forward them to the Radiation Technologist.
- Maintain equipment and keep work area clean.
- Maintain license and continuing education.
- Participate in community functions as related to Radiology Department.
This position does not require any supervisory responsibilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
LICENSE/CERTIFICATION Limited/Basic certification in Radiology; certification obtained from an accredited Medical Assistant program preferred
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent, and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of word processing software and database software.
A Medical Assistant Certification or equivalent; and one to two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
No specialized training is required for this position.
Certificates and Licenses
CPR certification is required.
Must have a current Limited License/ Permit in X-Ray Technology from the State of CA, Department of Health Services.
Valid California Drivers Licenses (Driving Record might be requested)
- X-ray machinery
- Audio booth
- Breath Alcohol Testing Machine
- Pulmonary Function Testing Machine
- Respirator Fit Test Machine
- EKG Machine
Knowledge, Skills, and Other Abilities
Ability to work with a variety of personalities and diffuse tense situations to come to a mutually agreeable conclusion.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand and walk, and to reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to sit, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee may occasionally lift and move up to 50 pounds. The employee must have 20/20 vision with or without corrective lenses.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to risk of radiation. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Job Type: Full-time
- 8-hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- X-Ray Tech. / Medical Assistant: 1 year (Required)
- Driver's License (Required)
- X-Ray Certification (Required)
- Spanish (a Plus)