The National Museum of Mathematics (MoMath) is a growing institution that provides insight into the evolving, creative, human, and aesthetic nature of mathematics to a diverse audience of all ages. Its interactive exhibits and stimulating programs encourage inquiry, spark curiosity, and reveal the wonders of math. You can learn more about MoMath and its open positions at www.momath.org.
MoMath is seeking creative, energetic math teachers to join its staff as Educators. The Educator role offers the opportunity for a teacher with strong formal K-12 classroom teaching experience to participate in one of America’s major efforts in mathematical outreach to students, teachers, and the public.
Part-time and full-time Educator positions are currently available. The full time position offers a full suite of benefits. The part-time position requires a minimum commitment of 2 mornings per week and is an excellent opportunity for an experienced math teacher to stay active in education. Both are ongoing roles, not summer engagements.
MoMath is based in New York City.
Please do not use the "Apply" button on this page. Instead, please email all of the following materials to email@example.comHelp with a subject line that includes “Educator” and your name:1. A cover letter explaining how you meet the above criteria
2. A current résumé, including grade point averages
3. A 150- to 500-word statement describing your views on mathematics or a life experience you have had related to mathematics
Essential duties and responsibilities:
- Lessons and presentations for school classes, camps, and other groups that visit the museum on field trips
- In-museum public demonstrations and group activities
- Mobile museum curricula, including educational outreach activities occurring in schools, community centers, public spaces, and other off-site venues
- Teacher professional development
- Internship programs
- After-school and weekend math clubs or enrichment programs
- Summer math camps and programs
- A minimum of one year of formal K-12 classroom teaching experience (as opposed to tutoring or test prep)
- A strong mathematics background, and a record of successfully conveying the breadth, beauty, vitality, usefulness, and excitement of modern mathematics to diverse audiences
- The demonstrated ability to manage a classroom and present a compelling, thought-provoking and fun experience
- A love of communicating mathematical ideas at all levels of sophistication and understanding, especially in ways pitched to be meaningful to a broad public
- State teaching certification is strongly preferred
- Previous museum experience is a plus