Job ID: 140071
APAC Central Inc., is a CRH company producing and providing crushed aggregate materials, sand, ready-mix concrete, asphalt, and performing as a regional heavy highway/infrastructure construction firm serving Arkansas, Oklahoma, and southern Missouri. APAC-Central, Inc. and its founding companies have been serving our customers since early in the 20th Century and look forward to continued success in the 21st Century!
The Regional Health and Safety Director is responsible for implementation, oversight, and leadership with the division, region, and company safety/health, risk management, and employee development programs. They will foster a collaborative relationship to be a seamless strategic business partner to the region president.
- Works with the Regional President to develop and execute a strategy that reduces risk, engages employees, and fosters a ZERO harm culture
- Coordinates and aligns the strategy with enterprise/divisional safety strategies and direction
- Ensures effective administration and maintenance of enterprise, division, region, and company safety programs
- Continuously scans the environment for new technologies to aid in incident/injury prevention and evaluate fit for our operations.
- Work with company management to ensures that proper incident investigations are continually conducted for all occurrences, providing recommendations for risk reduction as applicable.
- Oversight (both direct and indirect) of multiple areas with organization/maintenance of both passive and active support files/records for all incidents/injuries, including: general liability, auto liability, workmen’s compensation, and all other applicable claims.
- Coordinating the administration of incident claims, including negotiation/settlement of claims within proscribed limits of liability and directing other claims to the corresponding agencies.
- Maintaining liaison with all affiliated agencies, including: Insurance companies (WC, GL, AL), MSHA, OSHA, & State Labor Commissions.
- Conducting and oversight of site safety audit processes & assisting site personnel in selection/installment of safety devices.
- Coaching support to the operations personnel in conducting hazard awareness and risk management sessions.
- Assisting/Coaching operations managers/supervisors in conducting their own training programs. Collecting and making available safety/health material to operations supervisors for training needs.
- Mentor and develop company safety teams, both direct and indirect reports
- Stewarding/Implementing Employee Engagement philosophies, education, & growth strategies.
- Maintaining area/programs of responsibility to keep within economical demands of budgets.
- Providing direction/technical support to ensure employees’ health and minimize potential employee exposures through established industrial hygiene practices (i.e. Respiratory Protection Program, Hearing Conservation Program, and Silica Awareness Program).
- Monitoring employee health hazard exposures using established industrial hygiene techniques and enabling all areas to carry out personal monitoring.
- Oversight of Selection & Coordination for occupational physicians to ensure injured employees are provided with the best available treatment while ensuring injury resolution and prevention.
- Implementing strategic plans to ensure continued success in meeting division business objectives within Safety/Health, Safety Leadership, and Leadership education.
- Monitoring company safety results & compiling representative reports to executive officers.
- Coaching operations managers/supervisors with the performance management process including implementation, development, and facilitation.
- Developing creative communications methods to ensure the distribution and institutionalization of best practices through tools such as: PowerPoint, Word, Excel, e-mail, SharePoint.
- Work closely with Human Resources to ensure all safety requirements and training are completed during onboarding and during safety mentoring process for new employees
- Coordinate with environmental department when responsibilities overlap.
- Supervises 2 to 10 employees (directly and dotted line), including other supervisors, and assists all managers/supervisors with Safety/Health related issues.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disability to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Safety/Health related field and seven or more years related experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to read and comprehend complex written and verbal instructions, correspondence, and memos. Ability to write complex correspondence. Ability to carefully articulate and clearly communicate both specific technical information and creatively compose development strategies. Ability to effectively participate in and speak to large groups. Advanced presentation skills required.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to comprehend scientific formulas.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed written and oral instructions. Ability to think through complex systems (human, mechanical, organizational, etc.) issues to derive potential solutions.
- Detailed working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, including: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook. Ability to effectively navigate and research regulatory agency and industry related web content.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, talk, or hear. The employee is frequently required to sit, climb, and use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, crawl, kneel, bend, and reach with hands and arms above their shoulders. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move anywhere up to 50 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision and depth perception.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This position will require frequent day travel around the region, with occasional overnight travel.
- To perform the job successfully; an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Leadership skills, creative writing, clear and analytical thinking, creative presentation abilities, speaking clearly and effectively in front of large and small groups, and strong organizational abilities.
Other Skills and Abilities
- Ability to speak Spanish is plus.
What CRH Americas Offers You
- A culture that values opportunity for growth, development and internal promotion
- Highly competitive base pay
- Comprehensive medical, dental and disability benefits programs
- Group retirement savings program
- Health and wellness programs
About CRH Americas
CRH Americas has a long and proud heritage as one of North America’s largest corporations. We are a proud reflection of the hundreds of family businesses, local and regional companies and mid to large sized enterprises that together form the CRH Americas family. CRH Americas operates with a decentralized, diversified structure, letting you work in a small company environment while having the career opportunities of a large enterprise.
CRH Americas is a great place to grow! If you’re up for a rewarding challenge, we invite you to take the first step and apply today! Please complete your online application and profile which will be sent directly to the appropriate Hiring Manager. Thank you for your interest in the CRH Americas family!
APAC Central Inc. is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer.
EOE/Vet/Disability--If you want to know more, please click on this link.