The Registered Professional Nurse cares for patients by diagnosing and treating their responses to actual or potential health problems in the acute care setting through implementation of the nursing process. Coordinates care of other disciplines, delegates tasks to other nursing personnel, supervises care, provides direct patient care and evaluates outcomes. Maintains competence in clinical practice and assists in the development of nursing practice standards through participation in professional committees and organizations.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
Education: Graduate of accredited RN program required. Current licensure in NYS or eligibility for limited permit to practice is required. Bachelor of Science in Nursing is preferred and candidates without a BSN will be required to complete the degree depending on previous experience and specific position applying for.
Experience: Acute care experience preferred. Current BLS is required. Current certification in ACLS, PALS and NRP may be required depending on unit scope.
Certification: Board Certification preferred
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE POSITION:
- Completes patient assessment using subjective and objective data sources.
- Evaluates assessment data and establishes nursing diagnoses.
- Prioritizes patient needs including physiological, social, psychological, spiritual, age specific and selects diagnoses which can be reasonably addressed in the acute care episode.
- Develops an individualized PCP based on patient assessment using nursing practice standards and protocols, realistic measurable outcomes/goal and timeframes for goal achievement according to patient condition and age.
- Delivers patient care as outlined in the PCP and patient response to interventions.
- Assigns patient care tasks to and observes care given by non-RN staff members.
- Evaluates patient care and assesses the level and timeliness of outcome achievement utilizing input from pertinent members of the healthcare team, including patient/family.
- Communicates the patient’s plan of care to all members of the healthcare team and including the medical record.
- Organizes and communicates nursing care assignments/tasks/responsibilities based upon patient acuity/need and staff education/skill/job description.
- Assesses patient teaching needs as part of the initial and ongoing assessment, sets goals and develops teaching plans consistent with the patient’s educational level, learning readiness, and age.
- Collaborates with the interdisciplinary team to implements and /or coordinates the teaching plan focusing on wellness, health maintenance and restoration.
- Provides a safe environment based upon patient condition and age.
- Assumes responsibility for education and self- development.
- Participates in nursing performance improvement and interdisciplinary research and study activities as required.