Emerald Coast Surgery Center
RN ~ Pre-Op/PACU
The Registered Nurse is responsible for assessing, planning, implementing and coordinating patient
care from admission to discharge. The Registered Nurse is responsible for the achievement
of patient outcomes in accordance with the mission of the facility.
Position Reports to: Nurse Manager and/or Clinical Coordinator
Position Supervises: Patient Care Technicians
Surgeons, PACU Staff, Anesthesia Department, Medical Director, and other facility staff. As a representative
of ECSC, all comments, attitudes, actions, and behaviorshavea direct effect on the Facility’s image and
perceptions of quality service. Interaction withpatients, families,physicians, referral sources, affiliating schools,
visitors, volunteers, co-workers,managers, vendors, etc. must be in a manner that is friendly, supportive,
courteous, respectful,cooperative, and professional. This behavior should promote an atmosphere of team
work whichis congruent with Facility standards and guidelines to promote positive relations.
History and physical assessment of patient.
Review medical record.
Verifies surgical site.
Obtains operative consent.
Provides instructions according to patient need.
Communicates with members of healthcare team.
Verifies patient history and physical present on medical record prior to procedure.
Clinical Aspects of PACU
Receive report from OR nurse and anesthesia personnel.
Monitor vital signs, recognize emergencies and notify Anesthesiologist.
Maintain or improve circulatory function.
Promote normal body temperature.
Promote physical comfort and provide emotional support and safety for patient.
Check dressings, drains, tubes and patency of catheters as appropriate.
Assure availability and proper function of equipment.
Carry out MD orders.
Maintain an environment that promotes safety:
Electrical safety measures
Oxygen and Suction Equipment
Control of Contamination
Protect Patients right to Privacy
- After stabilizing the patient, request Anesthesia exam and discharge order or discharge per
criteria as appropriate.
- Explain discharge instructions.
- Assist patient in dressing.
- Transport patient to family using transportation safety.
- Discharge Follow-Up
- Call each patient the day following the procedure to assist with any problems or questions that may have developed.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential responsibility satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or abilities required.
- Assesses, plans, evaluates and ensures the implementation of the patient’s care to achieve identified outcomes.
- Assesses patient status on admission and on an ongoing basis.
- Implements appropriate standards of care based on assessment data and patient’s own goals.
- Goals are mutually set with the patient and family
- Coordinates nursing interventions to enhance achievement of expected outcomes and to
ensure readiness for discharge.
- Ensures provision of patient care daily in an organized and timely manner.
- Adheres to all facility policies and procedures when providing patient care.
- Utilizes nursing care standards when planning and implementing patient care.
- Demonstrates ability to direct and provide for patient care in emergency situations.
- Assesses learning needs according to patient’s level of understanding and readiness to learn.
- Evaluates patient’s progress toward outcome achievement on an ongoing basis.
- Revises plan of care based on change in patient status and/or information gathered at the interdisciplinary staffing conference.
- Documents patient’s progress toward achievement of outcomes.
- Directs others in the implementation of the teaching plan.
- Assumes a leadership role in the provision of quality nursing care for patients receiving care.
- Analyzes nursing care provided in the facility related to the established standards of care.
- Participates in the monitoring and evaluation of nursing care provided.
- Demonstrates ability to coordinate the nursing care provided in the facility.
- Assigns patient care responsibilities based on patient needs and abilities of available staff.
- Assumes charge nurse responsibility as assigned.
- Demonstrates ability to make decisions concerning facility based problems.
- Participates on quality council to facilitate improvement of nursing care and achievement
of the mission of the facility, as requested.
- Participates in the orientation of nursing staff.
- Participates in developing standardized patient education programs, as requested.
- Participates in team conferences on assigned patients.
- Demonstrates continued competence in assessing, treating, and caring for individuals based upon
age-specific needs utilizing a developmental perspective.
- Displays an understanding of each patient’s cognitive, physical, emotional, and chronological
maturity in the assessments, treatment, and care undertaken
- Appropriately modifies approach to the patient based upon patient age utilizing a developmental perspective.
- Provides appropriate interventions related to safety issues.
- Demonstrates appropriate knowledge and competence of designated skills identified for position.
- Follows established policies and procedures with regard to attendance.
- Maintains attendance according to guidelines and policy established by facility.
- Adheres to tardiness policy.
- Provides notification for unscheduled absences or tardiness in accordance with established departmental
procedures as noted by supervisor.
- Requests scheduled time off according to procedure as noted by manager or Director of Nursing.
- Utilizes time effectively.
- Completes all documentation to ensure the availability of accurate and up to date informationaccordance
with established standards.
- Adheres to established facility safety requirements and procedures to ensure a safe working environment.
- Demonstrates the competent usage of proper body mechanics in all activities.
- Identifies potentially unsafe situations and notifies manager or DON.
- Completes all employee/patient incident documentation in a thorough and timely manner, as required
by facility policy.
- Demonstrates complete understanding of established emergency procedures for facility.
- Practices infection control and standard precautions as instructed or trained.
- Regularly maintains work area and equipment in a pristine manner.
- Maintains own clinical expertise and unit clinical practice.
- Attends 75% of unit based staff meetings and demonstrates review of minutes for all others.
- Demonstrates the importance of continuing education to the performance of facility responsibilities and
growth in profession.
- Maintains and displays appropriate knowledge of professional developments through printed
material or other sources.
- Attends professional training seminars when appropriate for job development and shares
information with other staff members.
- Attends and participates in all applicable facility training and development workshops
scheduled by the facility.
- Maintains dress and appearance according to standards as observed by management.
- Demonstrates the safe operation of equipment and machinery and follows procedures for reporting and
correcting an unsafe situation.
- Completes appropriate financial management responsibilities.
- Provides input re: equipment and supply needs
- Completes patient charges in accordance with facility procedure.
- Demonstrates sound cost containment techniques.
- Performs all other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Attends professional training seminars when appropriate for job development and shares information with
other staff members.
- Attends all unit based in-services.
- Maintains and displays appropriate knowledge of professional developments through printed material
or other sources.
- Ability to correlate clinical data with patient’s medical and nursing care.
- Ability to set priorities.
- Ability to provide direction to others that is clear, concise and promotes efficiency on the unit.
- Ability to communicate well with patients, families, co-workers, etc.
Licenses or Certifications:
Current licensure to practice in Florida.
Successful completion of Basic Cardiac Life Support Course.
ACLS is mandatory for all nursing staff.
PALS Certification is desired.
Total education, vocational training and experience:
Graduate of an Accredited School of Nursing.
At least one year in med/surg and/or operating room experience preferred. The staff nurse will be
encouraged to become certified in specific techniques related to his/her specialty.