POSITION DESCRIPTION: Report and write stories of interest to readers for dissemination across multiple platforms, including print, online, mobile and social media. The stories can be self-generated and approved by a supervisor or be assigned by a supervisor. Serves as breaking news, crime and courts staff writer.
- Researches stories using personal contacts, databases and/or the Web; finds the most relevant sources for information; develops a list of knowledgeable, diverse sources.
- Produces story ideas from the assigned beat or from conversations with sources and other members of the community. Brings “real people” into stories.
- Writes stories that are clear and concise, using words, sentence construction and organizational format that aid clarity. Complements stories with points of entry and supporting documents.
- Consistently produces sophisticated stories and story ideas from conversations with co-workers, sources and other members of the community.
- Writes stories that provide sufficient context and use multiple sources.
- Conceives and executes an acceptable number of enterprise stories, including those worthy of front-page consideration.
- Provides timely information to photographers, web editors, graphic artists, and presentation editors.
- Reports news quickly and accurately as breaking news online.
- Perform other duties as requested by management.
Requirements, minimum education level, and experience:
- Four-year college degree.
- One year of daily newspaper experience as a fulltime employee or high level intern.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Spells words correctly and uses correct grammar, punctuation and style.
- Stays up-to-date on news, both local and the world.
- Develops and maintains a story planning document based on input from editor and creation of ideas from research.
- Must be able to multi-task
- Must have solid news judgment
Physical Requirement: Work will be both in an office environment and also will include time in the field, possibility of working in times of hot, cold and inclement weather.