Under general supervision, the Research Assistant will assist the lab gain mechanistic understanding of cellular and physiological responses to the metabolic environment and metabolic stress.
For more information on the laboratory’s focus go to https://www.schafferlab.org
The start date will be between spring and early summer 2021
- Assist with managing a colony of genetically altered mice including mouse husbandry and breeding, designing crosses, and maintaining organization and documentation of colony.
- In conjunction with other lab staff, conducts research studies of metabolism in mice to test hypotheses using physiological and molecular biological approaches.
- Maintains appropriate records of study design and results.
- Evaluates research results, discussing project outcomes with laboratory personnel.
- Coordinates research project(s) with internal and external collaborators.
- Assists with general laboratory supply and equipment maintenance.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelors degree in Biology, Biomedical Sciences, or related field
- 0-1 years of general experience working in a basic science research lab
Lab experience, outside of the laboratory experiences that are required for classes, such as a summer internship or internship that has run several semesters would be preferable
- Experience with PCR
- Basic understanding of genetics
- Familiarity with animal handling and husbandry
- Knowledgeable with Microsoft Office Suite
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Attention to detail, critical thinking, timeliness
- Highly motivated and ability to work in fast paced environment