As the general manager for a restaurant, you are the head of the dining establishment. You will provide inspiring leadership to a team of workers that can motivate them to work more efficiently and effectively. You will work with your team to develop strategies that reduce costs and increase sales within the company. You will ensure that patrons have a positive experience when dining in the restaurant.
Restaurant General Manager Job Responsibilities and Duties:
- Establishes restaurant business plan by surveying restaurant demand; conferring with people in the community; identifying and evaluating competitors; preparing financial, marketing, and sales projections, analyses, and estimates.
- Provide an accurate portrayal of the finances of the restaurant by preparing strategic and annual forecasts and budgets; analyzing variances; initiating corrective actions; establishing and monitoring financial controls; developing and implementing strategies to increase average meal checks.
- Attracts patrons by developing and implementing marketing, advertising, public and community relations programs; evaluating program results; identifying and tracking changing demands.
- Controls purchases and inventory; negotiating prices and contracts; developing preferred supplier lists; reviewing and evaluating usage reports; analyzing variances; taking corrective actions.
- Maintains operations by preparing policies and standard operating procedures; implementing production, productivity, quality, and patron-service standards; determining and implementing system improvements.
- Maintains patron satisfaction by monitoring, evaluating, and auditing food, beverage, and service offerings; initiating improvements or changes; building relationships with preferred patrons.
- Accomplishes restaurant and bar human resource objectives by recruiting, selecting, orienting, training, assigning, scheduling, coaching, counseling, and disciplining staff; communicating job expectations; planning, monitoring, appraising, and reviewing job contributions; planning and reviewing compensation actions; enforcing policies and procedures.
- Maintains safe, secure, and healthy facility environment by establishing, following, and enforcing sanitation standards and procedures; complying with health and legal regulations; maintaining security systems.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by tracking emerging trends in the restaurant industry; attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; benchmarking state-of-the-art practices; participating in professional societies.
- Accomplishes company goals by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
Restaurant General Manager Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- 5-10 years experience in a restaurant management position
- Experience in a high volume setting
- Knowledge about driving sales and meeting financial goals
- Results driven individual with demonstrated record of prior success
- Excellent interpersonal skills with customers and employees
- Customer Focus
- Management Proficiency
- Managing Profitability
- Quality Focus