RN Inpatient Oncology/Neurology Weekend 0.90 FTE, Nights 6:45 pm - 7:15 am, full time benefit eligible.
UnityPoint Health team members come for a job, but stay for a career. As a team member, you'll get the chance to change lives on a daily basis in order to deliver the Best Outcome Every Patient, Every Time- regardless of your position. That privilege drives employees' passion for making a difference in the lives of our patients, helping them create healthier, more rewarding lives. UnityPoint Health sets high expectations for team members in order to establish a trusted team capable of taking on the toughest of challenges.
As a member of the interdisciplinary team, contributes professional nursing knowledge and skills in the provision and management of care to patients and their families. Maintains a practice environment that reflects the ANA Code for Nurses, Philosophy of Nursing at UnityPoint Health with in the structure of the Professional Nurse Practice Model and in collaboration with other care givers.
The population served includes patients with cancer, chemotherapy and radiation therapy, hospice patients, seizure, stroke, head injury, spinal cord injury, epilepsy, brain tumors, other broad ranges of neurological dysfunction, and patients with other medical or surgical conditions.
Graduation from a basic nursing education program and registered nurse licensure with the goal to provide nursing interventions and the highest quality of care to achieve a state of wellness consistent with the quality of life, which may include a peaceful and dignified death.
Clinical Excellence/Patient Care
· Assesses the needs of patients and families, providing appropriate teaching and making the necessary referrals to provide continuity of care.
· Develops an individual plan of care using a collaborative approach with the patient/family and health care team.
· Promptly completes documentation to assure an accurate legal record of patient’s care.
· Delivers high quality care utilizing the nursing process while demonstrating knowledge and clinical skills of the specialty required on assigned unit in accordance with established policies, procedures and standards of care.
· Utilizes holistic approach (considering biopsychosocial, spiritual, educational, safety, and related criteria) appropriate to the age of the patients and families served in the assigned service area.
· Delegates and provides direction for other healthcare providers and hold them accountable for their involvement in the plan of care.
· Utilizes critical thinking in making independent judgments, and maintains responsibility and accountability for the knowledge of conditions of assigned patients.
Development & Patient Education
· Continues professional development and involvement in professional activities that enhance nursing practice by sharing knowledge through networking and research.
· Assess and chooses teaching strategies appropriate to the patient’s and their families’ age specific needs, culture, gender, readiness to learn and level of comprehension.
· Consults appropriate resources within the hospital to provide specialized education.
· Demonstrates knowledge that patient and workplace safety is a priority by preventing errors, accidents and infections and reporting potential or actual concerns immediately.
Basic UPH Performance Criteria
· Demonstrates the UnityPoint Health Values and Standards of Behaviors as well as adheres to policies and procedures and safety guidelines.
· Demonstrates ability to meet business needs of department with regular, reliable attendance.
· Employee maintains current licenses and/or certifications required for the position.
· Practices and reflects knowledge of HIPAA, JCAHO, OSHA and other federal/state regulatory agencies guiding healthcare.
· Completes all annual education and competency requirements within the calendar year.
· Is knowledgeable of hospital and department compliance requirements for federally funded healthcare programs (e.g. Medicare and Medicaid) regarding fraud, waste and abuse. Brings any questions or concerns regarding compliance to the immediate attention of hospital administrative staff. Takes appropriate action on concerns reported by department staff related to compliance.
Identify items that are minimally required to perform the essential functions of this position.
Preferred or Specialized
Not required to perform the essential functions of the position.
Diploma from an RN program.
Prefer one (1) year of hospital clinical experience or demonstrated clinical efficiency.
Current licensure in good standing to practice as a Registered Nurse in primary state. Must apply within 90 days for licensure in secondary state.
Must possess and maintain current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification.
Writes, reads, comprehends and speaks fluent English.
Microsoft Office – basic computer skills.
Critical thinking skills using independent judgment in making decisions.
Use of usual and customary equipment used to perform essential functions of the position.
Work may occasionally require travel to other UPH facilities.