Software engineers may develop embedded software, user interface software, regression tests, hardware-in-the-loop integration tests, control system development tools, database systems, operating systems, compilers, interpreters and device drivers. Software engineers perform work requiring the application of standard engineering principles, practices, procedures and evaluation criteria in conjunction with appropriate software and compliance standards. Responsibilities may include design solutions/implementation, test creation/execution and/or general support.
- Design, support and test of moderate to high complexity software systems and sub-systems.
- Strong knowledge of software development and analysis tools including editors, compilers, linkers, debuggers, code analyzers, version control systems, software testing tools, etc.
- Creation of specifications, process study, research investigations, report preparation and other activities requiring knowledge of Woodward products and specific market requirements.
- Develop and facilitate execution of test plans. Devise new approaches to problems encountered.
- Perform work which includes a variety of complex features such as conflicting design requirement and difficult coordination requirements.
- Provide work effort estimates, assist in project planning efforts including project task definition.
- Act as a leader for engineering technical reviews.
- Assignments of project engineer on specific projects - may direct the activities of multiple Software or Software Verification Engineers.
- Participation in strategic planning process.
- Participation in process/standard improvement activities.
- May be required to engage into customer and industry presentations.
(Only 1 Specific Area May Apply)
PRODUCT SUPPORT SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Strong knowledge of appropriate internal information management system (i.e. ERP, MRP, PLC and Document Storage system) applications.
- Manage/coordinate all levels of derivatives including task definition and duration estimation.
- Strong root cause analysis skills.
- Highly knowledgeable in a select group of products.
- Strong use of technical assistance, incident tracking,and knowledge-base applications.
- Manage/coordinate engineering changes so that they minimize impact to the rest of the organization - mentor lower level engineers in these tasks. Participate/coordinate engineering functions such as E/C Review Committee.
- Strong knowledge in a diverse group of products.
DEVELOPMENT SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Participate/coordinate in Engineering Peer Reviews.
- Independent unit testing, debugging, software/hardware integration.
- Support and suggest product improvement and replacement efforts.
- Manage/coordinate low to moderate complexity engineering changes so as to minimize impact to the rest of the organization.
- Suggest process and standards improvement efforts.
- Highly knowledgeable in select group of products.
- Provide input for all levels of derivatives including task definition and duration estimations.
- Participate in customer and/or industry presentations.
VERIFICATION SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assure quality of software or software tool using regression, integration and system testing, as appropriate.
- Creating and reviewing verification plans; capturing needed requirements.
- Assuring proper test results; reviewing test results with developers and provide technical expertise and knowledge during issues solving.
- Coordinate/perform all levels of testing per predefined test plan; monitor adherence to test schedule(s).
- Assure creation of automated regression testing; research new technologies to improve testability.
- Assure robust software product release readiness reviews, including appropriate sign-offs.
- Assure pre-existing product life cycle development process; monitor process for effectiveness.
Materials and Equipment Used:
- PC and related equipment.
Working Environment / Physical Activities:
- Work is generally performed in a normal office environment; however, the job may take the member into various areas of the plant where there is possible exposure to noise, chemical solutions, dust and temperatures above 80 degrees F.
- Moderate travel may be required.
- Advanced engineering knowledge, proven software design, development and verification aptitude.
- Capable of writing good software requirements that satisfy system expectations.
- Advanced written/verbal communication skills and presentation skills; advanced teamwork abilities.
- Advanced problem solving & troubleshooting skills and analytical calculation skills.
- Solid use of PC's and associated software.
- Full knowledge of software engineering lifecycles and quality process.
- Basic leadership skills.
- Solid knowledge in specialized technical field or product family or wide spectrum of general knowledge.
- Awareness of new technologies and new tools usage in the industry.
Education or Formal Training:
- 4 year technical/science degree or International equivalent required.
- Greater than 4 years professional software engineering experience or a combination of experience and advanced degree required.
- Solid experience with software development and/or verification required.
- Project technical leadership experience desired.
Woodward is an independent designer, manufacturer, and service provider of control solutions for the aerospace and energy markets. Our aerospace systems and components optimize the performance of fixed wing and rotorcraft platforms in commercial, business and military aircraft, ground vehicles and other equipment. Our energy-related systems and components enhance the performance of industrial gas and steam turbines, reciprocating engines, compressors, wind turbines, electrical grids and other energy-related industrial equipment. The company’s innovative fluid energy, combustion control, electrical energy, and motion control systems help customers offer cleaner, more reliable and more efficient equipment. Our customers include leading original equipment manufacturers and end users of their products.
Woodward is an Equal Opportunity Employer
This position requires use of information which is subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and the Export Administration Regulations (EAR). All applicants must be U.S. persons within the meaning of ITAR and EAR, or possess all required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State Department and the U.S. Department of Commerce. ITAR defines a U.S. person as a U.S. Citizen, U.S. Permanent Resident (i.e. 'Green Card Holder'), Political Asylee, or Refugee.