The Senior Staff Engineer, Electrical reports to the Engineering Leader and is responsible for complex product/system design, mentoring, driving process improvements, strategic planning and presentations. This position provides new intellectual property to the organization, as well as technical leadership to the enterprise. The Senior Staff Engineer provides leadership in the development of industry standards, and has a high level of industry/Customer contact and industry awareness. This position participates in enterprise negotiation as well as providing technical evaluation of new opportunities within the PLC process. The Senior Staff Engineer develops roadmaps and sets technical strategy and direction, and has a strong relationship with Customer, Supplier, individuals and organizations on a systems/standards basis.
- Directs all engineering aspects of several complex and detailed projects, which may include project management as well as engineering tasks.
- Solves in-depth engineering problems and communicates solutions to other engineers, sales development and management.
- Promotes and implements process improvements company-wide. Champions process in specific product development areas.
- Performs work that involves conventional engineering practices, but includes a variety of complex features, such as conflicting design requirements and difficult coordination requirements.
- Provides direct support of sales, manufacturing, purchasingand development by sharing information in the form of major/complex proposals and design reviews.
- Independently troubleshoots/analyzes system problems using complex computer simulations.
- Independently writes complex component tests.
- Leads or directs several engineers, technicians, detailers and designers on a project level basis.
- Estimates manpower needs and schedules and assigns work to meet completion dates.
- May be the Technical Lead of international and multi-site projects.
May perform the following functions:
- Expert support of operations, customers and sales in process and product related issues.
- Technical Lead of a team of engineers and technicians.
- Support Engineering Manager in MAP and planning processes.
Materials and Equipment Used:
- PC and related equipment.
Working Environment / Physical Activities:
- Work is generally performed in a normal office environment; however, the job may take the member into various areas of the plant where there is possible exposure to noise, chemical solutions, dust and temperatures above 80 degrees F.
- Moderate travel may be required.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills including presentations, (Customer, internal and management). Writes and communicates critical reports. Leads complex design reviews, internally and Customer. Expert technical writing skills (procedures, reports, proposals, etc.) May write and present technical papers at Conferences/Industry events. Highly refined communications skills--represents Woodward in the industry.
- Competent complex problem solving/troubleshooting skills for both components and subsystems.
- Competent in the use of PCs and associated software.
- Competent knowledge of appropriate WISE applications such as BOM, Item Master, NCR, Warranty, EC screens and part tracking.
- Strong knowledge of standards and the ability to apply complex groupings of standards into designs. Ability to quickly learn, interpret and apply new standards.
- Can evaluate all components of a complex system and provide solutions. Provides necessary guidance for proper analysis. Can verify validity of analysis.
- Complete understanding of component functions and testing requirements and relationship to system interaction and validation. Understands manufacturing processes, drawings and standards.
- Ability to strategically prioritize based on business needs.
- Has company recognized expertise and may have industry recognized expertise.
- Demonstrates strategic, long-term process and planning.
- Recognizes Woodward's business objectives and strategies; ability to balance activities which can result in strong financial impact.
- Expert in knowledge about international hardware standards and design rules.
Education or Formal Training:
- BS degree in Engineering required.
- Post-graduate technical degree strongly desired.
Greater than 12 years in related field required, including post-graduate experience.
Woodward is an independent designer, manufacturer, and service provider of control solutions for the aerospace and energy markets. Our aerospace systems and components optimize the performance of fixed wing and rotorcraft platforms in commercial, business and military aircraft, ground vehicles and other equipment. Our energy-related systems and components enhance the performance of industrial gas and steam turbines, reciprocating engines, compressors, wind turbines, electrical grids and other energy-related industrial equipment. The company’s innovative fluid energy, combustion control, electrical energy, and motion control systems help customers offer cleaner, more reliable and more efficient equipment. Our customers include leading original equipment manufacturers and end users of their products.
Woodward is an Equal Opportunity Employer
This position requires use of information which is subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and the Export Administration Regulations (EAR). All applicants must be U.S. persons within the meaning of ITAR and EAR, or possess all required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State Department and the U.S. Department of Commerce. ITAR defines a U.S. person as a U.S. Citizen, U.S. Permanent Resident (i.e. 'Green Card Holder'), Political Asylee, or Refugee.