| || |
The Staff Systems Engineer reports to the Engineering Leader and is responsible for support of system development, leadership support, collaboration and process improvement. This position works under a low level of supervision and performs a high level of independent work while accountable to exemplify a systems thinking culture. This position has a high level of industry and customer contact especially relevant to contemporary practice and market technical needs. This position will utilize interpersonal skills and technical judgment to balance the demands and risks of the system and stakeholders. This position supports negotiation, opportunity evaluation and influences technical direction aligned with stakeholders.
| || |
- System Requirement Definition - Derives the requirements from the analysis of the super system and establishes acceptance criteria for these requirements. Able to resolve and negotiate requirement conflicts in order to establish a complete and consistent requirement set for the system. Identifies areas of uncertainty and risk when determining requirements. Assesses the impact of changes to requirements on the solution and program.
- System Architecture Definition - Determines system architecture that best meets the system requirements. Understands and evaluates various architectures and the rationale behind them along with the ability and risks associated with each architecture to meet the system requirements and business objectives.
- System Design Implementation - Coordinates with the PMO to design the project plan throughout the phases of the PLC project to ensure that the project can be successfully executed and risks mitigated as soon as practical. Performs System Engineering work and engages other stakeholders within the enterprise, supply base, and customer.
- System Validation - Performs the review of each system requirement and confirms the origin and need for the requirement and that the requirement is reasonable. Identifies and resolves conflicts between various requirements and elements within the system.
- System Verification - Performs the technical planning for system validation. Reviews and approves the system validation requirements and test plans. Works with the team to execute the validation plan and resolve issues with validation testing. Reviews and approves validation test reports for internal and external use.
- Technical Risk Management - Performs technical system risk planning and appropriate risk mitigation actions. Participates in identifying and planning for enterprise risks and risk mitigation actions. Performs the technical risk mitigation actions within the project plan and helps resolve program impacts of the risk mitigation testing.
- System Decision Management and Configuration Control - Leads discussions and decisions around the management of the system requirements, guides the team for configuration control of requirements and designs. Works with the PMO to address the program management impacts from these items.
- System/Component Interface Management - Performs the identification and definition of key interfaces between the systems and components and resolves conflicts between these interfaces. These interfaces may be physical (envelope, piping, mounting, wiring, fluid flows and pressures, etc.), software (communication protocols, messages, alarms, shutdowns, etc.), environmental (thermal management, soakback, running and storage conditions, etc.) and system level sequencing and interactions.
- System Technical Assessment and Control - Performs thorough analysis of the system to ensure it meets the technical requirements. Manages and controls these requirements for the system and the sub-systems.
- Concurrent Engineering and Enterprise Integration - Works with customers and across the organization to understand how the customer's needs are evolving and how this will impact our system and subsystems. Identifies and works across the organization to ensure that we are managing the technical development process across the enterprise.
- Lifecycle Process Definition - Defines the system and subsystems lifecycle through the products operating life. Considerations and requirements for new units, service levels and service locations and system configuration management throughout the lifecycle.
- Technical Analysis - Performs the necessary System Modeling and Simulation, Engineering Mathematical and Quantitative Analysis, and other analysis as necessary.
| || |
- Provides leadership of system and subsystem technical scope defined above and takes a lead role with engineers, designers and technicians.
- Excellent written/verbal communication and presentation skills. Accomplished in discussing complex or difficult topics an various levels within our company or with the customer.
- Leads the evaluation of the big picture and have the necessary attentions to detail. Open Minded to Rational Risk Taking. Able to learn quickly and adapt.
- Is able to effectively interface with all the multiple disciplines on the team and with our customers and suppliers. Passionate and motivated to deliver the system while keeping the team aligned.
- Excellent problem solving/troubleshooting skills for systems, subsystems and components
- Is skilled at understanding the system requirements and negotiating any changes or tradeoffs at the systems, subsystems and components level.
- Drives self and team to get the desired results. Keeps the overall system goal in mind and directs activities to ensure we achieve these results. Identifies and elevates risks early to ensure these are managed appropriately.
- Working knowledge of standards and the ability to apply complex groupings of standards into designs. Ability to quickly learn, interpret and apply new standards.
- Skilled in the use and application of design tools; solid use of DFSS tools and methodologies; solid knowledge of Engineering quality systems (PLC, Engineering change, configuration management). Effective at utilizing required analytical tools.
- Significant contributor to the design of complex products/systems.
- Ability to strategically prioritize based on business needs.
- May have company recognized expertise. May represent Woodward at conferences and industrial events.
- Uses sound engineering judgment and the best available data to make decisions. Shows high integrity in evaluating the system, system risks, and enterprise impacts.
- Coaches and mentors team members. Asks questions that challenge assumptions, validate conclusions and explores possibilities throughout the PLC process.
- Solid use of PCs and associated software
- Solid knowledge of appropriate WISE/SAP applications such as BOM, Item Master, NCR, Warranty, EC screens and part tracking.
- Demonstrates leadership skills; ability to drive results across organizational boundaries.
- Strong experience in the verification, including test case creation and execution, of embedded electronic systems for aerospace applications including an understanding ARP-4754, RTCA/DO-178, and RTCA/DO-254 is required.
- Strong experience with the generation of top-down system verification strategy and plans is required.
Experience with systems utilizing embedded software is preferred.
Experience using the following tools is preferred: Jira, DOORS, and Windchill.
|Education or Formal Training|
| || |
- Bachelor's degree in a Technical/Science or International equivalent required
- Post-graduate technical degree or System Engineering Certificate desired
| || |
Greater than 8 years of relevant experience or a combination of experience and advanced degree required
Materials and Equipment Used
| || PC and related equipment|
Working Environment/ Physical Activities
| || |
Work is generally performed in a normal office environment; however, the job may take the member into various areas of the plant where there is possible exposure to noise, chemical solutions, dust and temperatures above 80 degrees F. Moderate travel may be required.
Woodward is an independent designer, manufacturer, and service provider of control solutions for the aerospace and energy markets. Our aerospace systems and components optimize the performance of fixed wing and rotorcraft platforms in commercial, business and military aircraft, ground vehicles and other equipment. Our energy-related systems and components enhance the performance of industrial gas and steam turbines, reciprocating engines, compressors, wind turbines, electrical grids and other energy-related industrial equipment. The company’s innovative fluid energy, combustion control, electrical energy, and motion control systems help customers offer cleaner, more reliable and more efficient equipment. Our customers include leading original equipment manufacturers and end users of their products.
Woodward is an Equal Opportunity Employer
This position requires use of information which is subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and the Export Administration Regulations (EAR). All applicants must be U.S. persons within the meaning of ITAR and EAR, or possess all required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State Department and the U.S. Department of Commerce. ITAR defines a U.S. person as a U.S. Citizen, U.S. Permanent Resident (i.e. 'Green Card Holder'), Political Asylee, or Refugee.