Red Lion Controls, an operating company of Spectris, is undergoing a period of significant change and growth. An organization with a significant and exciting foothold in the Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT) space, Red Lion has historically been dependent on a wide network of distributors to reach its end customers. With plans to triple in size over the next three years through both organic and inorganic growth, Sales Account Managers will be on the forefront of driving this growth by partnering with this extensive network of channel partners as well as identifying opportunities to sell directly to OEMs or integrators.
Reporting to a Sales Director, the Sales Account Manager will have overall responsibility for profitable revenue growth in an assigned geographic territory. Initial emphasis will be establishing productive and knowledgeable relationships with established channel partners in the geography and determining how best to sell both to and through these distributors. In addition, a key goal in the first 90 days is to map out the total available market of potential OEM and integration customers and determine the proper sales approach to win new business (either through the channel or by directly selling to these OEMs). Ongoing focus will be on core industry growth, new account acquisition, competitive displacement, and creating demand with new and existing customers. The role will involve territory planning and plan execution in conjunction with focus channel partners, system integrators and OEMs.
Red Lion Controls has a solid reputation for quality products but has relatively low market share compared to its largest competitors. Occupying an enviable space in the industrial controls and automation market, Red Lion is very profitable but can improve performance with longer-term thinking as it relates to the Channel. Therefore, the opportunities for seasoned, aggressive sales professionals can be substantial. Sales Account Managers will be heavily incentivized through revenue growth and new business.
In addition to being able to drive growth in both channel-served and direct accounts, the Sales Account Manager will have an integral role in pursuing a more solutions-focused sale vs. our historical focus on focusing only on products. A substantial shift in thinking, this new approach will require a much more holistic selling approaching and understanding of the voice of the customer to be successful. The ability to understand customer needs, to recognize additional opportunities beyond the initial “sale” and the knowledge to leverage internal and available Red Lion resources to win design opportunities is critical.
Essential Job Functions
- This position will be responsible and accountable to meet and exceed area revenue targets and strategic focus objectives.
- Develop and execute a strategic plan designed to exceed growth targets and achieve Red Lion’s strategic objectives.
- Drive projects from discovery to win by leading the project team through Red Lion’s project pursuit process.
- Optimize area channel options to best suit market and Red Lion’s business objectives.
- The Sales Area Manager will strategically develop mutual account plans with focus channel partner designed to leverage the resources of our partners and exceed targets.
- Engage Field Application Engineers in territory plan to drive growth and maximize customer satisfaction.
- Leverage and delegate responsibilities to Inside Sales to effectively and efficiently support distributors and customers in the area.
- First level manager of the customer and distributor relationship.
- Understands competitive positioning and provides regular feedback to sales and marketing management.
- Team player who consistently is striving to maximize Red Lion’s success both within and beyond the assigned territory.
- Endorse, support and model the Company’s core values of:
- Absolute Integrity
- Customer Focus
- Restless Innovation
- High Performance
- Bachelor’s Degree in engineering, business, marketing, or comparable.
- 5+ year’s sales experience in industrial solutions or technical sales.
- Ability to plan and manage at both the strategic and operational level
- Must be able to obtain documentation to travel domestically either via air, car or train. Must have reliable ground transportation, as the main customer visits will be done via ground transportation.
- Proficiency with English language both written and verbal communication.
- Product sales experience in the industrial / factory / IoT automation industry
- Direct selling experience to end accounts in the industrial / factory / IoT automation industry
- Business Development experience to end accounts in the industrial / factory / IoT automation industry
- Experience managing distribution channel partners, and growing revenue through channel partners in the industrial / factory / IoT automation industry
- Will need to have the ability to work out of a home office
- 30-50% travel expectations, primarily driving with occasional air travel