Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
Our Optical Communications segment has recently evolved from being a manufacturer of optical fiber and cable, hardware, and equipment to be a comprehensive provider of industry-leading optical solutions across the broader communications industry. This segment is classified into two main product groupings – carrier network and enterprise network. The carrier network product group consists primarily of products and solutions for optical-based communications infrastructure for services such as video, data, and voice communications. The enterprise network product group consists primarily of optical-based communication networks sold to businesses, governments, and individuals for their own use.
Purpose of the Position: The Demand Generation and Lead Development team is part of the OCO marketing organization and is responsible for providing field sales with the mapping out of new opportunities, contacts, and accounts. The Sales Development Team Lead (SDR) is a part of the Demand Generation and Lead Development team. As a Team Lead and working SDR, you are responsible for engaging new and dormant prospects by scheduling appointments for the field sales engineers (FSE) and ensuring that the team achieves their metrics. The SDR fills a vital role of engaging with cold prospects to uncover new revenue opportunities. This includes following a prescribed number of phone, email, social, and voicemail touch points until the prospect is qualified, disqualified, or recycled into a nurturing campaign. The SDR is a member of a sales region and will be teamed with a lead development rep (LDR). Success is measured by a) the SDR team achieving their MBO and KSO targets b) # of call coaching sessions with SDR team members c) completing a set number of outbound calls per week d) converting new/dormant prospects by scheduling assigned number of appointments for FSEs e) passing an assigned number of opportunities to field sales that result in a quote f) meeting or exceeding an assigned revenue budget** g) executing prescribed phone sales skills and adherence to a call-cadence **Metric will be both Individual and Team based
- Utilize effective cold calling skills to engage new and dormant end users and help onboard, coach, and train a team of SDRs to meet or exceed their metrics.
- Conduct call coaching sessions with each member of SDR team; run morning huddle; responsible for team’s annual performance review; report out team’s metrics every month
- Support manager in coordination and execution of onboarding, team meetings, and training
- Build rapport with new/dormant accounts to identify where in the buying process that prospect is at any given time
- Understand and communicate the components of optical solutions in the Local Area Network and Data Center, as well as explain the value of structured cabling to end users.
- Understanding of the basic components of a data network
- Identify and overcome early dismissals and objections
- Properly log all call results and call outcomes in Salesforce.com (SFDC)
- Follow and complete the call cadence until each prospect is identified and documented as the correct contact, unresponsive, or disqualified.
- Gather and document competitive landscape and market intelligence from discussions with prospects.
- Effectively utilize SFDC, InsideSales.com (ISDC), Discover Org, Sales Navigator, GovWin, and CDC Construct Connect, and ZoomInfo
- Coordinate the meeting date of the prospect and the proper field sales engineer to ensure calendar invites are accepted by both parties
- Create and transfer early-stage opportunities and potential prospects to FSEs
- Identify and record opportunity name, stage, potential revenue, and expected order date
- Ensure that a set percentage of appointments scheduled are tied to an opportunity or result in the creation of an opportunity
- Coordinate and communicate biweekly with FSEs to assist in opportunity and account advancement
- Engage and coordinate the appropriate internal resources in early stage opportunities, then facilitate the transfer of ownership to field sales at appropriate time to maximize win potential
- 3+ years inbound sales experience and/or 2+ years of cold calling
- Self-starter with natural inclination to research the answers to topics they don’t know or understand
- Must demonstrate ability to critically think and adapt to what customer is saying.
- Ability to memorize customer-specific messaging, intros, pitches, and questions to ask prospects while on the phone
- Coachable and open to feedback
- Strong understanding/desire to understand the telecommunications industry and fiber optics
- Disciplined, high-energy, and self-motivated
- Persuasive, confident, adaptable
- Competitive and ambitious
- Ability to write effective emails
- Educational background in engineering or sales/communications is strongly preferred
Other Job Requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree Required
- Business to Business (B2B) experience Required
- 4-6 weeks of domestic travel per year
- Valid driver’s license
- Must pass both a drug test and background check
- Strong desire for a career in field sales or sales leadership
- Willingness and ability to relocate to another city for a future position as a Field Sales Engineer
This position does not support immigration sponsorship.
We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or veteran status or any other legally protected status.