- Provides safe and reliable transportation service by operating various types of school buses in transporting pupils to and from school, special events, field trips, etc.
- Reports any maintenance problems to Maintenance in accordance with Company procedure and does not operate an unsafe vehicle.
- Reports to duty on time and maintains route on time but in a safe manner.
- Physically assists passengers in evacuation of the vehicle in case of emergency.
- Immediately reports any accident or incident per Company policy.
- Exercises student management through communication and discipline per Company policy.
- Reports discipline problems to school officials as instructed.
- Keeps the interior of the assigned vehicle clean and presentable.
- Presents a neat and professional appearance at all times.
- Ensures vehicle is properly fueled according to facility procedures.
- Completes all required paperwork (including route change sheets, time cards, vehicle repair requests) and submits to the appropriate authority in a timely manner.
- Attends all assigned training, safety meetings and in-service meetings.
- Maintains a cooperative attitude with fellow employees, supervisors, parents, and school personnel; always promoting company goodwill.
- Prepares vehicle for inclement weather conditions, including scraping or cleaning windows, applying tire chains.
- Safely and efficiently utilizes bus equipment, including wheelchair lifts, radios and emergency equipment.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must be at least 21 years of age; for Tennessee, must be at least 25 years of age per state law.
- Must possess, or be able to obtain, all valid applicable state license and other required certifications to operate company vehicles.
- Must meet physical and medical requirements and pass substance abuse screening; as a safety-sensitive employee, will be subject to random substance abuse screening under Company policy.
- Must satisfactorily complete and pass all training and attend safety meetings and in-service meetings in order to remain qualified.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to lift and assist students when necessary.
- Must have a high degree of attention and considerable dexterity in the control of the school bus/van.
- Must practice defensive driving at all times and avoid vehicular and industrial accidents by practicing safe driving and work habits.
- Ability to maintain effective pupil behavior management over groups of children.
*All interested applicants for a School Bus Driver position begin with us as a Driver in Training. The best-trained drivers in the business work for us because we devote a significant amount of resources, training and development to our employees. A Driver in Training will be trained by our staff to obtain a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL), obtain related School Bus Driver endorsement(s), and to learn our Company policies and procedures. Upon successful completion of the training program and successful completion of all necessary requirements for the position, the Driver In Training will be placed in a School Bus Driver role.