Nature of Work
This is responsible and varied secretarial/personal assistant work for the City Manager and Asst. City Manager. Work involves considerable contact with the public and rapid and accurate information technology skills. Work requires a familiarity with city organization and the functions of various departments and the ordinances and regulations affecting their operation. The employee exercises a high degree of discretion and independence of action in disposing of routine matters and in other public contact work. Work is normally carried out in accordance with general instructions and is reviewed by the City Manager and/or Asst. City Manager through observation of results attained.
Examples of Work:
- Interest and ability to analyze, investigate, and resolve a wide range of requests for information or service.
- Takes messages; arranges meetings and travel.
- Transcribes dictation consisting of letters, memos, agendas, reports, and other material; processes correspondence from records or rough copy.
- Processes invoices for payment in a timely fashion; keeps track of encumbrances and requisitions.
- Processes city accident/liability claims.
- Does payroll for Administrative, Human Resources, Public Relations, and Legislative employees.
- Assembles weekly informational packets for the Mayor & City Council.
- Updates & compiles City’s Annual Administrative Report & Directory.
- Assists the Human Resources & Legislative depts. as needed, including shared responsibility of acting as city clerk in his/her absence.
- Performs other duties as required.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Willingness to accept new activities and changing assignments.
- Considerable knowledge of writing and spelling.
- Considerable knowledge of the organization, functions, ordinances, and regulations affecting the various city departments.
- Support budget functions for the City Manager office using financial software program and providing other accounting functions.
- Advanced knowledge of office practices, procedures, and equipment.
- Ability to make decisions independently in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Ability to judge how to best meet the needs of a caller and to meet those needs courteously and effectively.
- Ability to communicate courteously and establish and maintain effective working relationships with other city employees, city officials, and the general public.
- Skill in rapid and accurate transcribing of dictation in a variety of formats, and in the operation and set-up of a computer.
- Ability to balance and prioritize simultaneous calls.
- Ability to be accurate and precise in written and verbal communications.
- Ability to cope with interruptions in routine, adapting to current needs.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks with accuracy and efficiency.
- Ability to regularly handle confidential and sensitive information.
Desirable Experience and Training
- Considerable education and experience in performing progressively responsible secretarial work.
- Advanced in Microsoft software (Word, Excel & Access), Internet and multiple email applications.
Position involves substantial public contact. Requires a positive and friendly image.
In addition to the pleasant personality, the person holding this position must have shown past excellent attendance and punctuality record; maintain confidentiality; experienced and proven executive secretarial skills; be a self-starter; work independently; be very thorough, accurate, and competent with details. Sets example for other city employees. Punctuality and cooperation is important. Appreciation of cooperative team work environment and willingness to be a team member. Shares work well as part of office team. Some flexibility in hours is helpful. Interest in developing new skills and acquiring knowledge is essential. Responsible for public image of U. City government.
Interested applicants should complete an application and drop it off at the City of University City, Human Resources Department, 6801 Delmar Blvd,
1st Floor, University City, MO 63130. Hours of operation are Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. Employment applications can also be downloaded from the City’s website www.ucitymo.org. No faxes accepted. No Phone Calls please.
The City of University City is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participates in E-Verify. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer. The City of University City is a drug and alcohol free work place. A pre-employment physical is required for this position.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER