Sisters of Providence
Job Title: Security Guard
Department: Facilities Management
Reports to: Security Manager
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
The security guard works under the direction of the Security Manager to ensure the safety, security and general welfare of the Sisters of Providence, residents and staff of Providence Health Care and of Saint Mary of the Woods College by monitoring and assuring a safe and secure environment in which to live and work.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Patrols buildings, grounds, perimeter, and off campus residences being ever vigilant for security of residents and students as well as watchful for fire and safety hazards.
- Checks and maintains equipment in good working order and reports problems to the proper authority.
- Responds to emergency situations such as fire and security issues and assists in the coordination of emergency services when such providers are called.
- Prepares written reports of accidents, safety hazards and breaches of the peace and security of the campus.
- Prepares a detailed written log of activities, complaints or any issues concerning the campus and its residents.
- Enforces the rules and regulations of the Sisters of Providence as outlined in the employee handbook, as well as college rules and regulations dealing with student conduct.
- Enforces speed limits and parking regulations of both institutions.
- Monitors the fire protection systems.
- Courteously provides aid and assistance to residents, staff, and visitors when requested.
- Turns on/off lights, locks doors, and provides other security tasks as assigned.
- Keeps the supervisor informed of any issues which may impact the security of the campus or the efficiency of the security department and its personnel.
- Performs other related duties as directed by the Security Supervisor.
- Must be able to communicate effectively by both written and oral means with a variety of people in a variety of circumstances.
- Must be able to work in a cooperative effort with sisters, staff, students, faculty, and within a small, closely knit working department.
- Must be able to respond, and effectively act in emergency situations.
- Must have knowledge of and embrace of the philosophy of the institutions and project that image through their conduct.
- Must be adaptive to situations ranging from the ability to perform security tasks, such as enforcement of rules and regulations, to those involving providing personal assistance to sisters, staff, students, and visitors.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- High school graduate
- Previous security or police experience helpful
The Sisters of Providence (Sisters) are committed to the fair and equal employment of individuals with disabilities. It is the Sister’s policy to reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the congregation. In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) as amended, reasonable accommodations will be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities when such accommodations are necessary to enable them to perform the essential functions of their jobs or to enjoy the equal benefits and privileges of employment. This policy applies to all applicants for employment and all employees.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to perform the essential job functions. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be able to stand and walk for long periods of time.
- Must be capable of climbing four flights of stairs, able to bend and stoop.
- Must have sufficient strength to lift and carry, or drag an average size adult down four flights of stairs.
- Must possess hearing and eyesight within normal ranges after correction.
- Must possess a character and demeanor which will allow them to deal with hostile or belligerent persons.
- It is possible that the incumbent could be exposed to communicable disease or bodily fluids.
The work environment is that of a college campus or retirement community. The possibility of stressful emergencyconditions and the possibility of confrontation with uncooperative,belligerent, confrontational persons exist.
In support of the Land Ethic, all persons employed with the Sisters of Providence will reduce, reuse, recycle and conserve energy.