The Senior Administrative Assistant is responsible for providing administrative support, establishing and maintaining administrative systems, procedures and policies and coordinating media relations activities for The California Endowment’s Communications department. As part of the Communications team, the Assistant works in service of equity and to raising awareness of health issues impacting underserved communities and all Californians. This position reports to the Director of Communications.
- Maintain calendars and synchronize with master department calendar as needed; make necessary arrangements for appointments, meetings, seminars, conferences, or travel in a timely manner.
- Manage the flow of information from multiple sources into the department or departments; prioritize and coordinate responses, and ensure appropriate documentation is maintained at all times.
- Answer the telephone promptly, respond to inquiries and requests for information, provide assistance or direct calls to the appropriate party in a timely manner.
- Read and respond to incoming correspondence and prepare outgoing communications.
- Routinely schedule appointments and events, notifying all participants in a timely manner.
- Make travel arrangements and prepare and process expense reports.
- Provide logistical support to meetings and other events to ensure successful outcomes – i.e., locate meeting sites, arrange catering, audio/visual and room/meeting requirements, etc.; provide other meeting support such as agenda and materials preparation, attend meetings and record and distribute minutes or other meeting documentation.
- Draft and disseminate press releases and pitch letters to promote The Endowment’s programmatic and grant-making activities.
- Participate in activities for the implementation of strategic communications objectives.
- Work with Communications team to maintain The Endowment’s media contact and video database; and maintain records of all media inquiries.
- Provide cross-functional support as needed by drafting newsletter articles and proofreading of The Endowment’s commissioned reports, as well as keeping media and contact databases current.
- Support basic accounting for Communications department, and provide other duties as needed.
- Demonstrated commitment to equity and/or experience working in underserved communities.
- Candidates must have strong oral, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Must be proactive, mature, organized, and deadline/detail-oriented.
- Experience with social media.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and experience in electronic scheduling, travel arrangements, and reimbursement processes as well as excellent research skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to work independently.
- Candidates should have a willingness to learn how to use a variety of research-based tools (e.g., Factiva, Bacons Media Monitoring, and Research Modules, GIFTS, etc.) and be proficient in Microsoft Word.
- Basic accounting skills.
- Fluency in both English and Spanish a strong plus.
A strong academic background, with a bachelor’s degree. Interest in multicultural health issues is helpful.
Administrative support experience in a multi-task, fast-paced and deadline-oriented environment. Experience in a grant making, nonprofit, communications, journalism, media, or related field a plus.
Physical demands including close vision for computer work, lifting, or carrying up to 25 pounds.
About The California Endowment
The California Endowment, a private, statewide health foundation, was established in 1996 to expand access to affordable, quality health care for underserved individuals and communities, and to promote fundamental improvements in the health status of all Californians. Headquartered in downtown Los Angeles, The Endowment has regional offices in Sacramento, Oakland, Fresno and San Diego, with program staff working throughout the state. The Endowment challenges the conventional wisdom that medical settings and individual choices are solely responsible for people's health. The Endowment believes that health happens in neighborhoods, schools, and with prevention.
Interested candidates should send their resume by email to HRResumes@calendow.orgHelp Please reference “Sr. Administrative Assistant” in the subject line.