What you’ll do
A dynamic and proactive Aero/defence business is recruiting a Senior Buyer. Applicants need excellent supplier relationship and management skills, the ability to source new suppliers and ideally have experience within a manufacturing environment.
Actively working across a variety of projects, the role will see the Senior Buyer source nationally and internationally, negotiate with existing and new suppliers and sourcing a range of products from composites, chemicals and raw materials . Provide leadership for Buyers to enhance supplier management and materials velocity activities.
Work content will require minimal supervision and will contain a variety of simple and complex suppliers. Develop supplier relationships to optimise cost, quality, innovation, ensure continuity of supply, collaboration, risk and opportunity exploitation all key parameters to develop product and business winning differentiators. This role may supervise up to 3 Buyers and materials handling personnel as appropriate.
- Cross disciplined evaluation, selection and development of suppliers - leading Make/Buy decisions when required within level of delegated authority
- Drive and lead the generation and review of 'appropriate' specifications and Statement of Work
- Objective review of the requirements and solutions being provided
- Early involvement in product technology requirements with influence to cost, availability, exportability, manufacturability etc.
- Active management of the supply base and supply chain as it affects performance
- Networking within and across the company, developing strong relationships in key areas
- Good understanding of the Procurement / Supply Chain Lifecycle
- Good negotiation and influencing skills
- Proactively managing Supplier & In house KPIs
- Be responsible for managing risk across the supply base for all defined products
- Be accountable for the success or failure of the suppliers performance
- Actively support the SCM to meet & deliver Program objectives
Key roles and responsibilities
- Develop and implement robust supply chain strategies to support the business goals
- Work with internal stakeholders in order to understand Internal Customer demand
- Develop and monitor cost / lead-time reduction targets, by demonstrating value at reviews
- Leads, evaluates and negotiates tender/Request for Quotation (RFQ) process
- Capture Engineering requirements and commercially communicate to the supply base
- Negotiates best terms (price, payment terms, lead time, Ts & Cs) with supply base,
- Understands price analysis and can interrogate the Suppliers price to determine if fair and equitable
- Receive requisitions and demands, process purchase orders in accordance with procurement processes and procedures
- Has a sound understanding of Ts & Cs and confident to negotiate and good legal awareness surrounding contractual management
- Create and manage relevant KPIs and SLAs to manage supplier performance across NPI, Quality, Risk, Cost, and Supply criteria to identify potential problems early enough for corrective actions to be taken Prepares procurement documents to support handling of bidding processes and analysis and evaluation of bid results
- Solves complex problems and exercises judgement based on an analysis of multiple / disparate sources of information
- Runs MRP and executes subsequent demand, to ensure that goods are available in a timely manner to support operational plans
- Good understanding and knowledge of Bill of Materials (BOM) structure
- Ensures compliance to government laws, regulations and procurement policies and procedures
- Maintains current and accurate purchase order data in ERP
- Resolves discrepancies between supplier performance and purchase order requirements
- Demonstrates flexibility with working in a variety of commodities
- Supports the SCM in continuous improvement of procurement policies, procedures and documentation. Where applicable to own and drive supply base innovation and initiatives to improve cost, quality and delivery performance
- Experience of implementing Supplier Relationship Management techniques / tools with suppliers (RMMs, Score Cards, Monthly Performance Reviews (MPRs), Quarterly Business Reviews (QBRs), Communications Plans, etc)
- Manage risk proactively within the Supply Chain incorporating the use of risk registers / Kraljic methods and regular reviews with high risk suppliers
- Provide leadership and guidance to Buyers that result in consistent adoption of best practices, procedural compliance and materials handling optimization techniques.
- Confident and able when the SCM delegates responsibilities to the Senior Buyer to ensure tasks / actions are communicated and completed against deadlines
Experience & Qualifications
- Degree or equivalent in Business Studies, Electronics / Mechanical / Aerospace / Manufacturing Engineering
- 5+ years of experience with the principles and practices of procurement in a manufacturing environment.
- 8+ years running the RFQ/tender process.
- 5+ years of experience with MRP / ERP Systems. SAP is desirable
- CPIM Qualification preferred.
- APICS CPIM preferred.
- 3+ years of Defence / Aerospace exposure preferred.
- Continuous improvement / lean manufacturing knowledge
- Good negotiation and influencing skills and able to manage a variety of relationships both vertically and horizontally
- A good understanding of the Legal Aspects associated with contracting within the Defence/Aerospace industry (FAR/DFAR) is preferred
- A good understanding of the Export Controls (including ITAR & EAR) associated with contracting within the Defence/Aerospace industry is desirable
- Proficient in MS Office Suite and database management skills
- Experience and adaptable working in IPTs or Commodities environments
- Strong communication, collaboration and interpersonal skills with a demonstrated ability to successfully work cross functionally within the business
- Well organised, with solid judgement, able to multitask and adjust to changing priorities in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- High level of motivation and professionalism is required
- Good analytical and numerical skills as well as planning capabilities
- Experience in Composites / Chemicals / Raw materials / Rubber & Polymer / Machining & Fabrication or Optics & Interlayer is desirable
- Although predominately office based, the role may require some travel to different GKN sites and supplier facilities - with occasional overnight stays. The role may also require travel (10%-20%) where required.
GKN is a global engineering business. We design, manufacture and service systems and components for most of the world’s leading aircraft, vehicle and machinery manufacturers. We are continuously evolving, pioneering new technologies and reinventing existing ones, stretching ourselves to better in everything we do. GKN operates three divisions: GKN Aerospace, GKN Driveline and GKN Powder Metallurgy employing 56,000 people in more than 30 countries.
GKN Aerospace is the world’s leading multi-technology tier 1 aerospace supplier. With 55 manufacturing locations in 14 countries, we serve over 90% of the world’s aircraft and engine manufacturers. We design and manufacture innovative smart aerospace systems and components. Our technologies are used in aircraft ranging from the most used single aisle aircraft and the largest passenger planes in the world to business jets and the world’s advanced 5th generation fighter aircraft.
As a global engineering company, innovation is what differentiates us from our competitors and is central to our success.
A balance of cultures, ethnicities and genders help bring new ideas and creativity to GKN. We need people of different backgrounds, with different skills and perspectives to spark originality, imagination and creativeness in our teams around the world.
GKN is an equal opportunity employer.
We treat all our employees and applicants fairly and are committed to ensuring that there is no discrimination or harassment against any employee or qualified applicant on the grounds of age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality, sex, or veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.